Ant specice ID needed

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37713Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Hello I'm not sure if this will be possible as these ants are soinsanly smalle macro lenses wll not pick the up. they are less than a millimeter long and insanely tiny they are orange and were found living under a rock in the woods.the amount of brood present is amazing a 1 inch long channel 2 inches deep that was completely filled with eggs I'm located in WNC polk county any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated THX
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3293
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37718Post Batspiderfish
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Even if they are not the best pictures, any pictures at all would help.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37723Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:44 pm

ok I will attempt to get some good pictures of them they are now in a plastic container with some testtubes I'm hopin gthey will move out of the soil that I scooped up when I caught them I'm really excited because I was able to actually see the queen in the container with them :D :D
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37741Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:30 pm
Even if they are not the best pictures, any pictures at all would help.
Image
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3293
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37742Post Batspiderfish
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Well, we can tell they are myrmecine ants. Solenopsis or Pheidole are the most likely possibilities, given the description of their nest.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37747Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 pm

I got a very good look at their queen is their any specific solenopsis or pheidole species I should look into I know for a fact these guys aren't invicta and so far as I can tell they cant sting as I have had a few crawl on me the queens body was orange like the workers with a dark brownish head and three brown rings on her gastor
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37773Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Well, we can tell they are myrmecine ants. Solenopsis or Pheidole are the most likely possibilities, given the description of their nest.
SO based off the description and photo do you belive it could be a B. Depilis I have heard a lot about them and they do look a little similar and update I was cleaning some debris out of the container when one of the ants crawled onto my hand bit me and started waving his gastor around in a dance it didn't hurt I didn't even feel it it was so small but the little dance he did could that mean the are a specie that spray formic acid?
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3293
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37774Post Batspiderfish
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm

AntDudeUSA wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Well, we can tell they are myrmecine ants. Solenopsis or Pheidole are the most likely possibilities, given the description of their nest.
SO based off the description and photo do you belive it could be a B. Depilis I have heard a lot about them and they do look a little similar and update I was cleaning some debris out of the container when one of the ants crawled onto my hand bit me and started waving his gastor around in a dance it didn't hurt I didn't even feel it it was so small but the little dance he did could that mean the are a specie that spray formic acid?
Nah. Brachymyrmex is in the Formicinae subfamily and has one petiole node. This ant's waist is long, suggesting two nodes of an ant in the Myrmicinae subfamily.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntDudeUSA
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37781Post AntDudeUSA
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm
AntDudeUSA wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Well, we can tell they are myrmecine ants. Solenopsis or Pheidole are the most likely possibilities, given the description of their nest.
SO based off the description and photo do you belive it could be a B. Depilis I have heard a lot about them and they do look a little similar and update I was cleaning some debris out of the container when one of the ants crawled onto my hand bit me and started waving his gastor around in a dance it didn't hurt I didn't even feel it it was so small but the little dance he did could that mean the are a specie that spray formic acid?
Nah. Brachymyrmex is in the Formicinae subfamily and has one petiole node. This ant's waist is long, suggesting two nodes of an ant in the Myrmicinae subfamily.

Ok I am going to attempt to get a macro lense so I can get a better pic of them for a better ID for right now I'm assuming they are a pheidole sp based on their giant heads and small size I want to try to get them out of the dirt they are in as when I caught the colony I pulled up the entire nest with all the dirt . how is the best way to get them to move out I was going to purchase a Tarheel ants atom founding formicarium one of the little round ones and put it in the container while giving it moisture but letting everything else dry out
Keeper of
x1 Camponotus Penslyvanicus
x1 Formica Subscerica
x1 Tetramorium Caespitum
x1 Solenopsis Invicta
x1 Pheidole sp
x1 Dorymyrmex Bureni

KinmanPack777
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm
Location: Calfornia

Re: Ant specice ID needed

Post: # 37782Post KinmanPack777
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Image
Can anyone see the Picture of the ant i posted

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests