Do Pavement Ants easily climb up corners?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

TheRoyalAlate

Do Pavement Ants easily climb up corners?

Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi there, I am new to ant keeping with one Tetramorium Sp. E queen, and I am trying to build my own outworld but I can't find an empty tank that is the right size and has round edges. I can get an acrylic tank thats fairly large, but I am hesitant to buy hit for fear of the ants being able to climb out on the corners. If I put on vaseline, will they still be able to escape? I realize this species of ant is one of the easiest to keep, so I imagine they can't be hard to stop from escaping.
Thanks in advance! :D

idahoantgirl

Re: Do Pavement Ants easily climb up corners?

Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm

I've kept A tetramaorium for coming on two years now. They fill a hybrid nest completely. Here is what I have found:

Best barrier: DRY baby powder (no rubbing alcohol) When I used baby powder Plus Alcohol, my tetramorium could climb over it real easy. While I haven't tried vasaline, I think they would be able to climb it fairly easy. Also they would start accumulating garbage on the barrier :?

How to apply: dab a cotton ball in dry baby powder and then dap it onto the upper rim of the outworld about an inch deep. It will leave a thin film of powder just barely clinging to the walls. I haven't had hardly any escapes with this method. Note that if you live in a humid area you may have to change out the baby powder more frequently.

As far as a container goes, Yeah I'm pretty sure most aquariums with sharp corners would be pretty escapable for this species. The other downside to aquariums is that you would have to dril a hole in glass. Not fun. I actually use the tip of a hot glue gun to melt a hole in the plastic outworlds big enough for my tube. works great.
I use a Tupperware container with very rounded edges. The only downside is that it isn't perfectly clear, just kinda translucent. I have seen nice Tupperware containers that are really clear and have nice rounded edges. Also I have seen refrigerator trays that look like they would work. They are shallow, but I think that could be really cool. I find it better to have a small outworld (mine is only like 15 by 10 inches or something like that. ) It makes moving around a whole lot easier.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

antnest8

Tue May 08, 2018 5:41 am

also i think i found the reason the tetramorium can climb over baby powder with alcohol. lots of baby powder is cornstarch based to it works weird. I have not tested this theory because i need talcum powder for it. Anyway i agree that the baby powder no alcohol is ideal (just watch out because it is messy)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

averagebilly

Tue May 08, 2018 12:05 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
I've kept A tetramaorium for coming on two years now. They fill a hybrid nest completely. Here is what I have found:

Best barrier: DRY baby powder (no rubbing alcohol) When I used baby powder Plus Alcohol, my tetramorium could climb over it real easy. While I haven't tried vasaline, I think they would be able to climb it fairly easy. Also they would start accumulating garbage on the barrier :?
All the ants that I've used Vaseline barriers with (including tetramorium) haven't crossed it. Although, some lasius ants have gotten stuck to it, and died... Maybe not the safest, but definitely the most escape proof. :lol:
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

antnest8

Tue May 08, 2018 2:50 pm

all the ants i have used Vaseline for got out even lasius and camponotus.

Are we talking about the same vasiline :lol: :? 8-)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

idahoantgirl

Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:05 pm
idahoantgirl wrote:

All the ants that I've used Vaseline barriers with (including tetramorium) haven't crossed it. Although, some lasius ants have gotten stuck to it, and died... Maybe not the safest, but definitely the most escape proof. :lol:
How big was your tetramorium colony?

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,

averagebilly

Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Fairly small, probably around 15 - 25 workers.
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

idahoantgirl

Sat May 12, 2018 3:16 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 pm
Fairly small, probably around 15 - 25 workers.
At that size they are not interested in exploring very far. It is only when colonies grow large that barriers are put to the test. For me, baby powder and rubbing alcohol worked at first but only because my colony was small and not interested in testing the barriers. Later I started having a few escapes, and then pretty soon hundreds of workers all over my dresser. :? That is when i switched to plain baby powder.

It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,