How often do you feed a "semi claustral" queen?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

antnest8

Re: How often do you feed a "semi claustral" queen?

Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

if the cotton is to dry you can just get a tooth pick and push it in more.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

antnest8

Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm

or a easier solution just provide another test tube with water
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants

AntsCalifornia

Tue May 15, 2018 3:25 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm
or a easier solution just provide another test tube with water
Okay, 3rd time now...I have given them a new test tube set-up (with water)... It's not working... They are not moving in. They are filling it with seeds for some reason. So, maybe they will if i give them time... but i dont want to leave them in a set up that is failing them...

And, there is no way I'm poking around in their nest...These are harvester ants! :evil: I could get stung! They have a powerful sting.( 10 times worse than a bee sting )

I've purchased a few professionally made founding formicariums online (made for pogos)... My home made set up is most likely the problem.

AntsCalifornia

Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 am

This made me jump! :lol: Had my hand too close.
She is a mama bear ;)

antnest8

Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 am

if the ants do not move they might be comfortable and the ant setup might not be what is killing them. if the ants put seeds in the tubes keep the tubes their that means that the ants have found the tubes and are using it as a storage/garbage site also it is nice to have a back up if the setup actually fails.
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants

AntsCalifornia

Sat May 19, 2018 11:44 pm

Well, from what I hear I was lucky to get this far... I just want them to thrive. Moving them will cause some stress... So, I must be careful about this... We will see how the second generation does in this set up.. If, they all survive I might keep them in there for a bit longer.

looks like I have some new workers coming soon!! ;)
They are looking good today.. :)

AntsDakota

Mon May 21, 2018 5:22 pm

AntsCalifornia wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:59 pm
Update
Week 5
OH WOW!! Her first workers are REALLY CUTE! 8-) :D :D :D :D
Housing-Tub and tube set-up
Brood- Eggs, larvae and pupae
Workers-1 NANITIC WORKER!!! 8-)
Temp-80 degrees F

I had to check on her today... I know it's not the 11th but....
I was getting worried because the food I was putting in (every 3 days) looked unused :? .... This was not like her. I had to see what was going on... I got my camera ready and lifted the test tube cover... OMG!! I HAVE A WORKER!! :lol: It's only a few hours old and still trying to walk.. I can't explain to you how happy I am. She must have been too busy to eat because she was grooming pupae. I'll keep adding fresh food (just in case)... :geek:

Also, when I went to check on her today she seemed less stressed by the light. Maybe, She feels more confident because she has a worker. I'll post another update in 3 days so we can see how they are doing. Well, that's it for today! OMG today was awesome!!! Here are the pics! I hope you all have a great day!
I remember when my Lasius colony got it's first nanitics. (The colony died) I literally freaked out, so I know exactly how you feel.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AntsCalifornia

Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah, I've learned that this stage is very difficult for them to survive through... But, she is still looking good and her two workers will help her raise the next generation.
I might have been too quick to blame my set-up...Maybe, she laid too many eggs and could not handle the work load by herself.
This new generation looks promising and the brood pile only seems to be growing everyday. Today, I'll count my blessings and hope for the best.
I'll keep you up to date... But, please do not quote old posts.. I'm trying to show a time line.. Those old posts can make things a little confusing for others who are trying to use this information.. That post you quoted was not even a post I mentioned anything was wrong... Please keep this Forum on Topic

Thanks.

AntsCalifornia

Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Update
Week 7.5
They moved the pupae out side of their test tube.
Housing-Tub and tubes set-up
Brood- Eggs, larvae and pupae
Workers- 3 NANITIC WORKERS
Temp-82 degrees F

Everything seems to be going okay.. I had another worker show up out of no where. So, i'm up to 3 workers now. I haven't lost anymore workers. So, maybe my set up IS working!! Except, they decided to move the pupae and some of the larvae out side the test tube... not sure if this is bad but I noticed they are moving them as close to the heat as they can get. So, I brought their temp up a bit..

Food
1.They are eating the crickets so fast that I decided to give them 2 crickets every 2 days
2.I add seeds once a week or as needed
3.I check the honey everyday to make sure they always have a sugar source...

Here is a gif of the workers and pupae outside the test tube...

AntsDakota

Wed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

AntsCalifornia wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:52 pm
Yeah, I've learned that this stage is very difficult for them to survive through... But, she is still looking good and her two workers will help her raise the next generation.
I might have been too quick to blame my set-up...Maybe, she laid too many eggs and could not handle the work load by herself.
This new generation looks promising and the brood pile only seems to be growing everyday. Today, I'll count my blessings and hope for the best.
I'll keep you up to date... But, please do not quote old posts.. I'm trying to show a time line.. Those old posts can make things a little confusing for others who are trying to use this information.. That post you quoted was not even a post I mentioned anything was wrong... Please keep this Forum on Topic

Thanks.
Sorry! :oops:
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25