Founding Colonies & Hibernation

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsArizona

Founding Colonies & Hibernation

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Ok I know Hibernation has been thrown around a lot lately, maybe cause we're in the mid year and noobs like me :D are starting to collect and I haven't seen anything on Hibernation for Founding Colonies with newly caught queens laying their first eggs.

Current Temps where ants are kept: (Outside patio storage closet in an apartment) 80-92 degrees F.
Species: Still haven't ID'd mine but I'm almost positive i have either Lasius or Solenopsis or Tetra. Lol Sorry. Not entirely sure but i know they aren't Pogonomerex or Camponotus (Large specieis)

Currently, I have about 25-30 test tube setups with potential queens in test tube setups in this patio closet. I keep them there cause its warmer than my 76 degree apartment. I don't have any heating cables or nests yet since I just started so keeping them warm outside seems best right now as they are developing.

Question: Do I need to heat Founding colonies when it gets cold this winter when they are still trying to develop their first nanitics? I'm guessing in about 3 months the temps will drop here in AZ so inside my apartment will most likely be warmer than outside where winters here can get to low 40s-50s degree F. By 3 months, I'm assuming ill have at least 3-5 workers and will need to start feeding them. So what do you guys recommend?

Bring them inside when temps drop and run a heating cable at one end of the tube? Or just bring them inside at temps of 70-75 (winter temps) and no heating cable?

Nj6000

Re: Founding Colonies & Hibernation

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am

Just put the ants somewhere where is stays fairly cold but not freezing temperatures like an attic , shed , basement . Any place that stays a couple degrees higher than outside . Also if you have solenopsis invicta don't hibernate them . I read on the internet that solenopsis invicta can't hibernate . No you do not put heat on hibernating colonies . Wish you the best of luck with your colonies !

AntsArizona

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks for the info!

Nj6000

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 pm

AntsArizona wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 am
Thanks for the info!
:D