Found my first queen!

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

HypernovaRain

Found my first queen!

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:42 pm

So, a bit of a long story, but here we go.
Today while i was walking through the woods, I decided to lift up some rocks in search of ants to observe and identify. So after a few rocks with nothing, I tumbled upon a beautiful colony which I believe is Dolichoderus pustulatus, but I could be wrong. So, wanting to identify their ants I grabbed two workers, and I saw what I believed to be some majors so I grabbed one of them.
When I got home I took a closer look at them and realised this this wasn't a major worker, this was a queen. And this was confirmed when i saw her lay an egg, and one of the workers picked it up.

I'm extremely excited, but I have several questions.

First, how long should I keep them in the test tube? They were already from a colony, with several other queens so can they be independent? I have a formicarium, so I can move them at any time, but when should I?
Second, tying into my last question, should I feed them now as the new colony is growing? I have a test tube portal so it would be easy. Also what should I feed them?
Third, should / could I speed up the growth of the colony by going back to where I found them and taking more ants? (Or eggs or queens?)

Last of all, Is there anything else I should know? Or really just any advice you think would be helpful?

I had some trouble attaching images to this forum so i'll just link to a twitter post with pictures.
https://twitter.com/seaotter9000/status/873334480974622721

Edit: I live in Sussex county NJ if this helps.

That's it for now, thanks in advance for any onfo!
It's ant love forever! <3
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Martialis

Re: Found my first queen!

Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Measurements? The location and measurements are necessary with every request.
Keeper of

Selliing:

123LordOfAnts123

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 pm

The presence of two petioles immediately scratches off the possibility of a member of the Dolichoderinae. Myrmica is likely, with Aphaenogaster also an option. Better pictures would be needed to narrow it down.

Martialis

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. Do Aphaenogaster fly this early?
Keeper of

Selliing:

HypernovaRain

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I tried to get some better pictures and measurements, but I'm not sure if they'll help. Also I found her in an already existing colony under a rock so nuptial flight schedules won't help much. Although I saw at least two other queens so it's a polygynous species which will help with identification. (and it means her original colony won't die.)

https://twitter.com/seaotter9000/status/873364539055722500
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)

Batspiderfish

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Myrmica sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

HypernovaRain

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah, Myrmica does seem very likely, although all the species listed on antweb were much lighter in color, so I'm still not 100% sure. (Keep in mind I am a beginner so there could be something I missed.)
Keeping Myrmica sp
(6 Queens)