For how long can i leave my ants?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntFin

For how long can i leave my ants?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Will my ants survive if I leave them for a week when I´m away? I would fill all their test tubes and feed them before i leave.

Ants4life

Re: For how long can i leave my ants?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:35 pm

How many workers do you have?

AntFin

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Ants4life wrote:How many workers do you have?

I dont have ants yet but Im thinking of getting Camponotus ants. But I will have to leave them for a week sometimes and I just wanna make sure that ok before i get them.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 pm

That should be fine.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:14 pm

The primary concern is water.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Serafine

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Camponotus are growing super slow, reaching 200 workers after about 2 years (year 3+ they grow a lot faster though). As long as you leave them some sugar water, some food and a large tube of water it should not be any issue.

If you want to be super sure take multiple very large test tubes, plug them with cotton and put in a large cocktail straw in as entrance - that way the ants can carry the eggs and larve into the test tube in case the formicarium should dry out (pupae and adult ants are fine with room humidity).