Utah - Salt Lake City - Tetramorium sp?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

jordonbigelow

Utah - Salt Lake City - Tetramorium sp?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:29 pm

Hello everyone.
I am new to ant keeping, and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this small queen. I believe it is a Tetramorium sp. I caught her September 20th though, so I think that is very late for a Tetramorium sp. queen to be flying. So then I thought it might be a Crematogaster, but it doesn't have a heart shaped gaster. I am worried it also might be a parasitic queen as well because I have had her for two weeks, and she hasn't laid any eggs yet. I caught another one with her as well, but she just died in the test tube. Sorry for the small picture it is as close as I could get with an iPhone.

Thanks in advance! :D

http://imgur.com/gallery/ypDNj

Batspiderfish

Re: Utah - Salt Lake City - Tetramorium sp?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:58 pm

It does kind of look like Tetramorium, but that is some poor lighting and the image is out of focus. :P

FYI, Crematogaster workers have heart-shaped gasters. The queens look pretty normal, except the petiole attaches to the gaster rather high up.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

jordonbigelow

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Do you think that it was too late in the year to find one of these though? Sorry I tried to take better pictures but that is as clear and close as I could get it.

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 pm

It is unusual to find them late in the year, but I encourage those who think they've found a late Tetramorium to post an ID request.

Don't sweat the macro if you can't get the queen in focus. Just make sure the lighting and focus are right.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

jordonbigelow

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Here is a much better picture.

http://imgur.com/gallery/CedJC

Batspiderfish

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Still looks like Tetramorium to me. :D