Species Coexisting in Formicaria?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

CapBackfire

Species Coexisting in Formicaria?

Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:06 pm

Plotting a 29 gallon formicarium for Camponotus Novaboreansis (spelling?) and am curious as to what other microfauna I can keep within their kingdom. Most of the "floor space" will be open fields of moss and I would like some other species there to increase visual enjoyment.

I have temperate springtails, various isopods I could use (probably going to go with A-Vulgare, wild type. Also have a specific species of isopod known to live in ant nests in a symbiotic relationship (honestly don't remember the species name just now). Possibly going to put "house millipedes" which I have unwittingly bred into my isopod enclosures, and maybe a few tiny snails.

Any red flags that you see here? Obviously the important species is the ants for this so the question is if any of these species will harm the ants, potentially?

Thanks and Ant Love Forever!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Species Coexisting in Formicaria?

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 am

The only issue I may see if that the ants will hunt some of them for food or that the millipeds crawl out of the formicarioum if it's open space. But other than that I don't see any big issues. Springtails are always good and I'm also thinking about getting some for my own colony. The only question is where do I get them from. ^^'
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Alaydia

Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 pm

I've seen springtails for sale in pet stores.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.

killuaiscat

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:14 am

hi, i currently live in Indonesia and do you know which pet store will i see springtails in?

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 am

That is a good question. I asked at the local pet store which also sells "exotic" animals like snakes and spiders. They do seem to sell them but due to the current cold weather it would not be a good idea to order them right now. But it will be different in Indonesia. Just ask them if they sell springtails or if they can order them. If not, my only other idea would be to check on a compost pile.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.