Northern Nevada Queens

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AceCadet

Northern Nevada Queens

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:40 pm

So this is round two of this post, my new test tubes came in so I could finally swap my Camponotus queen from container to a more permanent claustral chamber. So I took some new photos with better lighting and a magnifying glass.
So this is the Camponotus Queen. Shes about 15-16 mm. I don't notice any color on her however all the other Camponotus I saw were obviously Camponotus vicinus so yeah.
Also Im worried, because of her wings she seemed to have a hard time turning around in the tube, do you think she will be find once she breakes them off? Just worried. Also sorry the pictures are so blurry. I had just place her into the tube and she was pissed off.
This one, I think is Lasius niger however on the last posting someone thought she may be Formica of some sort. Shes closer to 8-9 mm. And has a very big gaster. As well she seems to almost have bands across it. Like its shimmery and striped.

These last two look to be the same species, they are small and entirely black. One has wings the other does not. They are about... 7mm maybe 8. I was theorizing that they are Tetramorium sp. e
Thanks in advance everyone :) Now that everyone is in a test tube I can finally stop stressing them out and just leave them be in their nice dark test tubes.

AceCadet

Re: Northern Nevada Queens

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Oh and I forgot they were caught September 26th 2016

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:49 pm

I can't see the third queen very well, but she might be Formica, like the second queen is.

Queen one is Camponotus sp.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AceCadet

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:02 pm

Durant wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:I can't see the third queen very well, but she might be Formica, like the second queen is.

Queen one is Camponotus sp.
Queen 1 is a Camponatus pennsylvanicus and queen 2 looks like formica and queen 3 looks like a lasius alienus(?)
also, my c.penn queen has 13 workers and she still has her wings and yes my test tube is too small too and I recommend getting her into a more comftorable setup
I had her in a tupperware but I was having a hard time getting her water regularly. Do you think itd be more beneficial to put her back into the tupperware and just attach the test tube to the tupperware through tubing? That way she gets water and can go into the tub if she wants but she also has all that extra room? Or would that be counter productive since she is obviously Claustral? Shes the only camponotus I caught. I really dont wanna lose her.

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 pm

I wouldn't be so sure about Camponotus pennsylvanicus in that location. There are plenty of other possibilities.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AceCadet

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:13 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about Camponotus pennsylvanicus in that location. There are plenty of other possibilities.
I dont mean to be a bother but I was wondering if you had any input on my test tube being too small across. Im just really worried with how difficult it is for her to move around, will she accept something as big as a tupper ware(its a round 4 inch diameter by 3 inches deep) as an appropriate founding chamber?

Batspiderfish

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 pm

It looks large enough to me, as long as she can turn around.

AceCadet

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Ok. I was just concerned because she has to struggle to flip around, it may just be because her wing stuck to the slightly wet tubing a bit. Thanks.