Nevada Ants, This time they are queens

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

AceCadet

Nevada Ants, This time they are queens

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm

So this time, unlike last these are actually queens. I went camping not too far from where I live and of course right as we are packing up after staying for 3 days theres a nuptial flight. I caught a few of different sizes and Ill list them below with measurements.
First is my big ones, shes approximately 16 mm long. I almost stepped on her right as we were leaving.
Next is a little smaller, closer to 10 mm long. She was the first I found and has obvious wing scars. I think she may be Lasius.
And these last two look to be the same species, a little smaller compared to the previous. Only 7mm approximate(measurements are being tricky as all ants are kinda stressed and are now resting in my nice dark closet) I thought the winged one was male but now Im not sure so I caught it anyways.
Hey at least they are winged this time? Lol.

AceCadet

Re: Nevada Ants, This time they are queens

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Dang, I also have got to get something to get my camera to focus better next time.

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Queen one is Camponotus sp., at least. I hope to have some better photographs, perhaps with better lighting, to ID the other queens. Nice haul!
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AceCadet

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Ok hey at least thats exciting and thanks. Yeah Ill try to get better photos later. They are all really stressed so I want them to get some relax time, The one I think is Lasius was pulling at the cotton and then finally relaxed and actually looks like shes getting ready to lay. Sooo freaking excited.

AnthonyP163

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Second one looks like a Formica.

You said the 3rd one is smaller, and it looks like a Formica Pallidefulva, so that kinda adds up.

3rd one looks like a Crematogaster but I can't really confirm unless I see a eagle view of the gaster.

Antcrisp

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:54 pm

AceCadet wrote:So this time, unlike last these are actually queens. I went camping not too far from where I live and of course right as we are packing up after staying for 3 days theres a nuptial flight. I caught a few of different sizes and Ill list them below with measurements.
First is my big ones, shes approximately 16 mm long. I almost stepped on her right as we were leaving.
Next is a little smaller, closer to 10 mm long. She was the first I found and has obvious wing scars. I think she may be Lasius.
And these last two look to be the same species, a little smaller compared to the previous. Only 7mm approximate(measurements are being tricky as all ants are kinda stressed and are now resting in my nice dark closet) I thought the winged one was male but now Im not sure so I caught it anyways.
Can you tell me where did you get the queen? Im from Neveda too,i'm having a hard time finding one.

AceCadet

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Antcrisp wrote:
AceCadet wrote:So this time, unlike last these are actually queens. I went camping not too far from where I live and of course right as we are packing up after staying for 3 days theres a nuptial flight. I caught a few of different sizes and Ill list them below with measurements.
Can you tell me where did you get the queen? Im from Neveda too,i'm having a hard time finding one.
Well I found these ones in Toiyabe National Forest while I was out camping. A pretty heavily wooded area. If each of these queens ends up producing brood I will most likely look into selling them through the GAN Program so there is that. Not the camponotus. But one or two of the smaller species once I have them positively Identified.

Antcrisp

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:19 pm

That's 5 hours from where i live lol. Its gonna have to wait till Saturday :(.

Okay,im registered in the gna program.

AceCadet

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 pm

Antcrisp wrote:That's 5 hours from where i live lol. Its gonna have to wait till Saturday :(.

Oh itll take a little bit. I have to wait until they start brooding, and the eggs turn into workers. They are so stressed from the trip home and me handling them to get pictures today that I think it may be a little for them to brood but Ill totally let you know once eggs start appearing ok :)

Antcrisp

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:25 pm

AceCadet wrote:
Antcrisp wrote:That's 5 hours from where i live lol. Its gonna have to wait till Saturday :(.

Oh itll take a little bit. I have to wait until they start brooding, and the eggs turn into workers. They are so stressed from the trip home and me handling them to get pictures today that I think it may be a little for them to brood but Ill totally let you know once eggs start appearing ok :)
Okay sounds good!! I really appriciate it. We are supposed to get some rain this week,maybe will get lucky lol.