AntsCanada WeaverAnts Question

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Monarch

AntsCanada WeaverAnts Question

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Im building my first vertical 5 gallon formicarium for my Nylanderia sp (black crazy ant). Im using the weaver ant video for ideas but my question is this:

Ive seen his video series on the weaver ants twice but i dont understand how he keeps the ants from escaping? Does he put fluon or olive oil on the door?

I plan on siliconing glass on half piece of glass pane and then the other, top glass pane that will be held in place with some sort of clamp to press at the entrance as much as possible. That way i can freely remove this pane for maintenance.

NoviceAntKeeper

Re: AntsCanada WeaverAnts Question

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:50 am

Pretty sure Black Crazy Ants are known as Paratrechina Longicornis? I think Nylanderia is Raspberry Crazy ant. He actually didn’t put a barrier, he just locked the door closed. Whenever he opened it, the ants could escape. Fluon (PTFE) is probably the most effective, you can also try dry baby powder or baby powder mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Monarch

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 am

NoviceAntKeeper wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:50 am
Pretty sure Black Crazy Ants are known as Paratrechina Longicornis? I think Nylanderia is Raspberry Crazy ant. He actually didn’t put a barrier, he just locked the door closed. Whenever he opened it, the ants could escape. Fluon (PTFE) is probably the most effective, you can also try dry baby powder or baby powder mixed with rubbing alcohol.
Thats definitely what it looked like. You might be right about Nylanderia. They are much smaller than weaver ants but i think im going to try Olive oil and see how that works.

NoviceAntKeeper

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:01 am

Yeah. P. Longicornis is t native to Texas, but Nylanderia is. I’m not sure how well olive oil works.