Do vibrations hurt queen ants?

Temporary placeholder

Moderators: ooper01, Trusted User

Antswithlenn

Do vibrations hurt queen ants?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:37 am

So I have an older brother who likes to play the guitar very loud, which in turn makes a lot of vibrations. Can this hurt or even possibly kill the queen. I moved the queen just in case, and I’m wondering if I can move her back?

SkeleAnt

Re: Do vibrations hurt queen ants?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 pm

The vibrations won’t be what kills your queens, the stress it causes will. Some species are more sensitive to vibrations than others, but I don’t know of any species that just tolerates them. If your queens are too stressed and uncomfortable, they might not lay eggs, eat the eggs/brood they already have, or die from stress. I recommend moving them as far from where your brother plays guitar as possible, while keeping in mind the conditions needed for your colonies to grow (temperature, light exposure, humidity in the tube, etc.)
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!

Antswithlenn

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks!

BlueLance

Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 pm

Something you can try is to use two kitchen towels, or smaller similar things and place the test tube or other set up on top of it, assuming it isn't heavy, a majority of the vibrations from physical object will be lessened, sadly can't do much about the air vibrations.