Hello - New keeper here looking for advice

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
Pete809

Hello - New keeper here looking for advice

Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 am

Hello all,

So yea i found myself watching youtube vids and stumbled across AntsCanada Fire ants eating a lizard... which peaked my interests. 3 weeks later in the mail arrived my Lasius Nigel Queen complete with 6 workers however there are no eggs. I worry that with all the movement in the mail that she has ate her eggs.

My question is... I have put a little bit of Protein Jelly I ordered with the ants in the test tube and put them away in a dark cupboard, will she start making eggs again? should i add new food every couple of days so should i just give them 1-2weeks alone?

Thanks in advance, I have done alot of research but i was not expecting that she would come with workers but no eggs :(

Vincex

Re: Hello - New keeper here looking for advice

Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Hey Pete they may have ate the eggs with the stress of transport what you really need to do now is leave the queen alone for at least a week if not longer and she should start laying ! I wouldn't bother feeding for a while they don't need much at that stage just leave them be
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Pete809

Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 pm

Hi Vincex,

Thanks for your advice, I will just leave them alone for a week or more. Can i ask you I final question please, I bought a small 5w heatmat as i seen on the caresheets that heat increases production, is it worth leaving the tube on a heatmat, or just put them away in a cupboard and leave alone?

Thanks

Vincex

Thu May 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Niger do alright at room temp as long as it's not too cold if you had a constant warm dark area would be better cos you run the risk of of cooking the queen . Better to wait till you have her in a bigger nest so you can heat half of it and let her choose what heat gradient she prefers
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda