Florida Nuptial Flights and Species

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

CaseJ121

Florida Nuptial Flights and Species

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:54 pm

Hello, I live in Northern Florida. I was wondering if anyone knew a good species that was having its nuptial flight about now. I'm an absolute beginner and would love something that doesn't bite haha. I recently captured a velvet ant, thinking it was a pogo, and had to release it *facepalm*. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do, however, already know how to take care of ants once they're captured.

dinoman9877

Re: Florida Nuptial Flights and Species

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:39 pm

I think if you're lucky, Lasius niger and neoniger are still having their flights. Basic species to raise but good to start with. I'm getting some test tubes Thursday and I'm going to see if I can get lucky.

Batspiderfish

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 am

Just a reminder that North American Lasius niger exist in isolated populations, mostly in the Rocky Mountains. It's very unlikely that anybody is finding Lasius niger here.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

dinoman9877

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:28 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Just a reminder that North American Lasius niger exist in isolated populations, mostly in the Rocky Mountains. It's very unlikely that anybody is finding Lasius niger here.
Why are they the 'common black ant' if they're so rare? e_e

Better question. How are they practically all over the world but not in random places like Kentucky or Florida?

CaseJ121

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:35 am

Niger and neoniger. Thanks! Where should I begin looking to capture my first queen? I live beside a pine woods.

Sonnette

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:47 am

I believe Lasius Neoniger are still out, but not particularly common right now. I found one the other day, but it got away.

I also believe that there are a few Brachymyrmex sp. left, but I'm not quite sure, so don't take my word on that.

I would look near the beach (Like 10-20 feet away from the sand dunes, away from the beach), as I've found lots of ants there, but not a queen. It seems like a place they would go. Otherwise just constantly look in the grass after it rains and stuff.

nightxwolf88

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 am

dinoman9877 wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:Just a reminder that North American Lasius niger exist in isolated populations, mostly in the Rocky Mountains. It's very unlikely that anybody is finding Lasius niger here.
Why are they the 'common black ant' if they're so rare? e_e

Better question. How are they practically all over the world but not in random places like Kentucky or Florida?
the lasius niger is also a common black ant but in Europe. We have very common lasius neoniger here.

CaseJ121

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 am

I'm afraid the beach isn't an option for me. The gulf is about 45 min away and the Atlantic is about 1.5 hrs away. I can definitely check in grassy areas beside our pines though. We have a pond, a large yard, pines, and an old cow field (probably full of snakes of now).
I did some research on niger and neoniger and found that only neoniger live here. On top of that, neoniger can have their nuptial flight anywhere from September-November! So it seems that I'm right on time.
Any other species of ant, I'm not quite sure what they are. We have small, black ants that like to feed on leftovers, fire ants, and ants with red heads and mesasomas with a black gaster. Only the fire ants seem to be able to bite around my house.

nightxwolf88

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:35 am

Solenopsis Invicta's sting is what you wanna watch out for :)

CaseJ121

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Funny that you say that. They're all around my house and my friend just offered a queen to me :3