location- sacramento,California
i have 4 different queens of the same species
can u also tell me if its fully claustral or claustral

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... xtjykn.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... lf7tnp.jpg

AceCadet

Re: Id this queen

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Honestly due to color and sizing, as well as time of the year. I'd say Solenopsis of some sort. It'd be super helpful if you took a more magnified photo but I know that can cause blurry images Due to how small she is in the photo its hard to be concrete in my identifying. A measurement would be great and if anyone else can put in their opinions that'd be great. Oh and if it is Solenopsis then they are fully claustral. However I would highly recommend getting a measurement and posting this information and photos into the Identification thread where you may get more information and maybe someone a bit more experienced can weigh in on it. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewforum.php?f=48 Happy Ant Keeping!

AceCadet

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:31 pm

So I dug a bit more and I wanna say its Solenopsis molesta or thief ant Attached is an image so you can compare it to what you have there. Image

AntsAreCool43

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:52 pm

Thank you for your input! I looked into the thief ant and it talked about defining characteristics such as two segments that connect the Abdomen to the thorax which my queen doesnt seem to have.

As for the measurments im not sure how im suppose to take them without harming her but i can say she is really small.

AceCadet

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Hmm well, can you take a picture of the top of one of the wingless queens? A more close up image would be great if you can as well. Just so I can see the characteristics a bit better. And as for measurement typically placing her above a rule or measurement device you should be able to get an approximate. And obviously I mean keeping her in the test tube and placing the entire thing onto a ruler. Sorry I wanted to clarify that.

AntsAreCool43

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:28 pm

AceCadet

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:00 pm

So. I still think shes Solenopsis But if you really dont think shes Solenposis molesta Im at a loss for specific species. I believe all Solenopsis are claustral so at least you have that for raising the queen. Im sorry I couldn't help more. Im just not sure, and because shes so small its really hard to tell. I hope someone else can help you more. Sorry again. :(

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Brachymyrmex depilis
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AceCadet

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Well dang I was wrong on both accounts. Oh well.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Brachymyrmex and the Solenopsis thief ants are tied for itty-bitty-ness. B. depilis are also yellow, so it's a common mistake. Watch out for those waste-segments. ;)

Also, to be fair, I'm not sure what's going on with the image links.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.