Queen Ant?

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

LukeTheGreat

Queen Ant?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Is this a queen? It's about 3-6mm in length, I found it in my driveway in Michigan. I found it 1-2 days ago, it's the end of summer here.

Thank you for your help, as I am new at ant keeping.

Batspiderfish

Re: Queen Ant?

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Crematogaster sp.

Try not to guess when you are taking a measurement! ;)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

LukeTheGreat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:29 pm

I thought it looked a lot more like Tetramorium Sp.E, No?

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Tetramorium aren't flying anymore by August (in North America). That round head belongs to Crematogaster, which is having its mating season right now.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

LukeTheGreat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:09 pm

They look pretty similar to me

Cremogaster
Tetramorium

Are they similar species care and behavior wise?

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:05 pm

I agree, queens of the two species do look similar, but she is definitely not Tetramorium. ;)

I haven't kept Crematogaster before, but know that the workers are many times better at climbing than Tetramorium. They nest high in the trees.

LukeTheGreat

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:41 pm

Cool, I'll do some research on how to keep them.
Thanks for your help!
-Ant Love forever!

Martialis

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:26 am

Batspiderfish wrote:I agree, queens of the two species do look similar, but she is definitely not Tetramorium. ;)

I haven't kept Crematogaster before, but know that the workers are many times better at climbing than Tetramorium. They nest high in the trees.
Is that why there's an entire colony constantly moving brood up and down the tree in my front yard? Didnt think Temperate Crematogaster did that.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Batspiderfish

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 am

Martialis wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:I agree, queens of the two species do look similar, but she is definitely not Tetramorium. ;)

Is that why there's an entire colony constantly moving brood up and down the tree in my front yard? Didnt think Temperate Crematogaster did that.
Hmm, I guess they do nest close to the ground. I was under the impression that they nested in rotting wood, high up, like Aphaenogaster tennesseensis. They are common in Maine, but I very rarely see the colonies.

LukeTheGreat

Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:40 pm

How would I house these ants if they live in trees,
I.e. Outworld, Formicarium, tubing, outworld terrain.
Pictures would be helpful.