Ant found in Gruarulhos/São Paulo/Brazil

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

wllzsec

Ant found in Gruarulhos/São Paulo/Brazil

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Hello people!

Today after almost a week of rain we had a little warm sun so I decided to look on the ground and I found this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fNZ5V6EeTPuEIvQMs_Fk1VoVP9YzGcAM she is about 10mm in lengh(discounting antennae) and have 4 very visible spikes on her thorax, I made up a crappy drawing just so you can see where those are located and some other rough details that may help, and a small video to show a little better. I have no idea of what it is, though she looks a little like Atta spp. if not for the smaller size and black color. if you need more data just tell me.

P.S. Just remembered, she does have wing scars and since I don't see any ant nest or ants that look like this around I take it she flew a lot and must be a queen she was found today 2019-nov-29 just outside from the yard.

I thank you for your time,
William A.

wllzsec

Re: Ant found in Gruarulhos/São Paulo/Brazil

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:13 pm

wllzsec wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:45 pm
Hello people!

Today after almost a week of rain we had a little warm sun so I decided to look on the ground and I found this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fNZ5V6EeTPuEIvQMs_Fk1VoVP9YzGcAM she is about 10mm in lengh(discounting antennae) and have 4 very visible spikes on her thorax, I made up a crappy drawing just so you can see where those are located and some other rough details that may help, and a small video to show a little better. I have no idea of what it is, though she looks a little like Atta spp. if not for the smaller size and black color. if you need more data just tell me.

P.S. Just remembered, she does have wing scars and since I don't see any ant nest or ants that look like this around I take it she flew a lot and must be a queen she was found today 2019-nov-29 just outside from the yard.

I thank you for your time,
William A.
Nevermind that link, I messed up when sharing the folder in google drive, this is the right link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MxY0aWPC6Ahfjo7KtFQhpNYnuDxtNdu2

wllzsec

Re: Ant found in Gruarulhos/São Paulo/Brazil

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Hello again, I did some searching on the net, and what a search, took me nearly 5 hours to confirm and that it is some species of Aromymex sp. But narrowing down what type of Acromymex sp it's another business, since I found in Brazil(southeast region) I guess that it could be Acromymex Lundii, because all the other's for which I could find images it wasn't black, and this one is back, a dull black, in regards to measurements it all fits. if any of you have anything to add or corrections of my findings, I'd be glad to read and talk about it. but for now, I'm more concerned with how to raise it, since it is a leafcutter and a fungus growing ant.