California Common Ants

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

219121291ants

California Common Ants

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi, Im in California and I am having some trouble identifying the literally smallest ants ive seen but the most common I get around here. I provided 2 picks bellow one is a pic of what i see, basically the reality of what the human eye sees and then a pic I took with my phone close up. I just want to know what there called and a pick of what the queen looks like. Cus i wanna get one there small and don't bite, at least with my experience. I love em.

Images click here -----------> https://imgur.com/a/iBHSDvZ <----------- Images click here

DeiaFormica

Re: California Common Ants

Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Okay so.. those might actually be argentine ants (Linepithema humile).

Worker:
Queen:

Keep in mind that the lighting can affect the perceived coloration of the ants, so try taking multiple pictures of them inside a controlled environment (test tube with good lighting, white background) to give us a better idea.

If those are argentine ants, keep in mind that they are an invasive species and should not be re-released into the wild. I don't recommend trying to raise these if you're new to ant-keeping.

If anyone more qualified than me is familiar with Linepithema humile, please share your expertise.

EDIT:

I found a video guide on how to DIY a macro lens for phones in case you need help getting clearer images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VAjc0F6WE

219121291ants

Re: California Common Ants

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:28 pm

ok ty I think there argentine ants too at least thats what a bug id/ insect id app on my phone said but honestly for california I haven't seen any other ant species literally none so if i wanted an easier species it would have to be illegal, im not doing that lol so I think im stuck with these guys. I don't think it would be too bad I appreciate your input and help identifying.