Did i house my queens correctly?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

EdgarFromLatvia

Did i house my queens correctly?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 am

Hi, I found out about the ant keeping just about when the nuptual flights started, so i could not get ready to house the queens in test tube setups. I kept queens, that i caught, in small jars with wet cotton for some days, while i was searching shops in nearby citys, that sell some test tubes. Sadly - could not find any! I decided to make some nests for them by myself :geek: .
I used about 0.8x3.2x3.2 inch block of compressed wood chips for my little starter nest. I made a shallow pit in that block and covered it with a plastic, transparent plate. I glued it with a non-toxic glue and poked some tiny holes for the air. I drilled a bigger hole for later-needed tubing and a smaller hole for hydration. I placed some soil in for the queen to feel like at home. For hydration i pulled a string through the hole and placed the other end in a water container higher up than the nest. That worked!
I placed the queen in and she seems happy. The next day i checked on her, and she has borrowed a hole in the soil. I checked her after 3 more days and i saw her with eggs. She moved in really close to the string for the hydration. I don't know what to do. She really likes the moistness, so can i hydrate her a little bit more frequently?
My friend, who keeps an ant queen too, placed some pupae from a nearby ant nest with a fertile queen. Is it bad for the queen? She seems caring about the eggs, she borrowed a hole and placed the pupae with her.

Thanks for your responses

MCWren

Re: Did i house my queens correctly?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 am

Can you show us some pictures? It's hard to imagine what you're describing.

EdgarFromLatvia

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:58 am

MCWren wrote:Can you show us some pictures? It's hard to imagine what you're describing.
Sorry, i have only a phone camera, but...
Here are the picures:
This is the nest, that i house 1 of my queens in.
This is the hydration system, that i use for making my nest moist.

I know, they are not beautiful.

antscanada
Main Forum Admin

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:22 am

Are you housing a carpenter ant species or one that is known to live in wood? This is definitely an unconventional way to house queens so perhaps it may be hard for others here to give advice on whether this can work or not. Hopefully someone with experience with a similar nest can help!
Ant Love Forever.

EdgarFromLatvia

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:04 am

AntsCanada wrote:Are you housing a carpenter ant species or one that is known to live in wood? This is definitely an unconventional way to house queens so perhaps it may be hard for others here to give advice on whether this can work or not. Hopefully someone with experience with a similar nest can help!
No, the species i caught are not living in wood. Can that be a big problem? Can they die, if i house them like this? you made me kinda scared now. :? :roll:

MCWren

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:48 am

No, they should be fine. That's a cool setup, hopefully it works. Good luck!

AntsRule

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:46 am

EdgarFromLatvia wrote:
AntsCanada wrote:Are you housing a carpenter ant species or one that is known to live in wood? This is definitely an unconventional way to house queens so perhaps it may be hard for others here to give advice on whether this can work or not. Hopefully someone with experience with a similar nest can help!
No, the species i caught are not living in wood. Can that be a big problem? Can they die, if i house them like this? you made me kinda scared now. :? :roll:
Can you please post some pics of the species so it can be identified. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

EdgarFromLatvia

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:57 pm

AntsRule wrote:
EdgarFromLatvia wrote:
Can you please post some pics of the species so it can be identified. :D
I posted the queen pictures in the "Queen ID" section:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1549

EdgarFromLatvia

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:50 am

MCWren wrote:No, they should be fine. That's a cool setup, hopefully it works. Good luck!
Thanks, it kind of works. I have noticed some larvae in the nest. In the ant ID section i have placed a post, where you can see the ant. I noticed the larvae only when looking at the picture.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1549