Hey! I'm new. Anoka, MN area.

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

AJMetal87

Hey! I'm new. Anoka, MN area.

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Hello! I was watching youtube last night, specifically Live PD (youtubes version of "Cops").

3 Hours later:

I landed on ant farming? Youtube has a weird way of showing you different things. The "related videos" side area is dangerous as it sucks you in to watch many different things and eventually you find yourself on a new subject you never would have thought you would be interested in.

I was fascinated by the first AntsCanada video I saw and I am ready to continue learning! I feel blessed as it seems like nuptial season is here or right around the corner.

I look forward to becoming an active member of AntsCanada! Thanks for reading!

- Andrew

Edit: My wife is a Filipina and we visit the Philippines every year too, I think it would be cool to start an ant farm there and have her brother care for it as a gift.

AntsDakota

Re: Hey! I'm new. Anoka, MN area.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:12 pm

AJMetal87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:36 pm
Hello! I was watching youtube last night, specifically Live PD (youtubes version of "Cops").

3 Hours later:

I landed on ant farming? Youtube has a weird way of showing you different things. The "related videos" side area is dangerous as it sucks you in to watch many different things and eventually you find yourself on a new subject you never would have thought you would be interested in.

I was fascinated by the first AntsCanada video I saw and I am ready to continue learning! I feel blessed as it seems like nuptial season is here or right around the corner.

I look forward to becoming an active member of AntsCanada! Thanks for reading!

- Andrew

Edit: My wife is a Filipina and we visit the Philippines every year too, I think it would be cool to start an ant farm there and have her brother care for it as a gift.
Welcome to ant keeping! I hope you enjoy it. And speaking of nuptial flights, Camponotus is currently flying, so be on the lookout for their enormous queen. (Meaning nearly one inch. :shock: )
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25

AJMetal87

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Oh! Do you mean these are around Minnesota? I'm going to look them up. Is there a specific time during the day they are more commonly found wandering around? I don't like to get up early, I usually get home at about 6:30 p.m. . But I'll definitely get up early if that's what I need to do to find a queen if I really like this, I'd be interested in finding a lot of different ants and helping others by giving them other queens that I find. Is it common for people to breed their own queens and then just sell the ones from their current Farm or do people usually search for them to sell?

AJMetal87

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 pm

I watched the video about pavement ants and how the Filipino gentleman enjoys those as one of his favorite ants to raise because they grow fast and they are fun to watch. My sidewalk outside my door, on the side has a colony and my backyard is well by the pavement along the service door side of the house. I think those are pavement ants so I'm going to keep looking for them and a little bit tonight when I get home