Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9019Post AuntLinda
Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:11 pm

south west florida july 23 2016. I saw these today by my car. Many were flying around. I am new to ant keeping and my supplies should be arriving within a day or two. I am hoping to be able to catch one fertilized. Any tips?


AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9028Post AuntLinda
Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:54 am

Durant wrote:Awesome!!! They r Solenopsis invicta queens that u have there!!! AKA RIFA AKA Red Imported Fire Ants!!! :P

Ok you are the second to tell me they are that type. Awesome to know what i've got here in the yard. We also have a whole lot of red fire ants. I am still looking for more info so if you have anything handy on this particular type would be great.

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9030Post AuntLinda
Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:01 am

Durant wrote:Ok then Fire Ants r highly aggressive and will overpower prey and threats by stinging!!! They can live in water for periods of time so if ur queen is accidentally drowned don't throw her away and see if she'll come back to life! They r a very explosive species and can expand in short notice so get ready with those formicariums!!!! The queens of this species r fully claustral which means no feeding them anything during colony founding!!! Hope this helped!!! :P

So these are very similar to the very red ones that are very common in my yard? And yes that was good to know, about not needing to feed her while tending her eggs.

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9033Post AuntLinda
Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:06 am

Durant wrote:Yes they r the same species!!! :P

AHA! Well I am a tiny bit disappointed, I thought I found something slightly less aggressive. I do have my first fornicarium in route. I am wondering if my abilities being so new are good enough to handle these.

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9035Post AuntLinda
Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:17 am

Durant wrote:I actually have Solenopsis invicta and they r aggressive yes but fun to watch!!! This is my first time ant keeping and so far it's all good and Solenopsis invicta love to escape so get some Insecta Slip from Bioquip.com and get that and watch one of Mikey's videos on how to apply so if u do everything right the ants will be ok so yes if u feel like u can do it then do it but if u think maybe next year or something then try to catch some Tetramorium species!!! :P


:D I think that boost of confidence was enough to get me started. I have indeed watched a ton of mikeys videos and saw that I would need the insecta slip. Watching the eggs in the different phases being moved so efficiently was so soothing to me to watch.

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9263Post AuntLinda
Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 am

We dug up a whole nest pretty much. I have them in a bin and added a small bin with food. They enjoyed some chicken and a cracker I put in. My fornicarium hasn't arrived yet. Using vaseline my insectaslip should arrive tomorrow. I am enjoying watching them already. I don't even know for sure if we got the queen but i am almost positive we did. Alot of larvae and pupae.

User avatar
larynx
Moderator
Posts: 944
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:36 am
Location: Georgia USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9274Post larynx
Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:43 am

AuntLinda wrote:We dug up a whole nest pretty much. I have them in a bin and added a small bin with food. They enjoyed some chicken and a cracker I put in. My fornicarium hasn't arrived yet. Using vaseline my insectaslip should arrive tomorrow. I am enjoying watching them already. I don't even know for sure if we got the queen but i am almost positive we did. Alot of larvae and pupae.
:(
Image
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer
Image

AuntLinda
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Florida USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9276Post AuntLinda
Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:08 pm

larynx wrote:
AuntLinda wrote:We dug up a whole nest pretty much. I have them in a bin and added a small bin with food. They enjoyed some chicken and a cracker I put in. My fornicarium hasn't arrived yet. Using vaseline my insectaslip should arrive tomorrow. I am enjoying watching them already. I don't even know for sure if we got the queen but i am almost positive we did. Alot of larvae and pupae.
:(
What's wrong? I have a million fire ants in my yard and I am new to ant keeping. This is just a first time experience. They are calm and enjoying themselves so far. If you have tips I am surely open to them.

User avatar
larynx
Moderator
Posts: 944
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:36 am
Location: Georgia USA

Re: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi Nuptial Flight Thread!!!!!

Post: # 9279Post larynx
Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:33 pm

AuntLinda wrote:
larynx wrote:
AuntLinda wrote:We dug up a whole nest pretty much. I have them in a bin and added a small bin with food. They enjoyed some chicken and a cracker I put in. My fornicarium hasn't arrived yet. Using vaseline my insectaslip should arrive tomorrow. I am enjoying watching them already. I don't even know for sure if we got the queen but i am almost positive we did. Alot of larvae and pupae.
:(
What's wrong? I have a million fire ants in my yard and I am new to ant keeping. This is just a first time experience. They are calm and enjoying themselves so far. If you have tips I am surely open to them.
Ohh ok. Solenopsis sp. then? Thats cool if you are learning off of them then. I just hate to see non-invasive species get dug up. Not that i could really say anything other than :( . because its the keepers prerogative. lol
Anyway....tips... Learn as much as you can about containment of ants, and what all the different stages of life there are from this species. I personally started with Solenopsis sp. and they taught me a great deal. You will 100% learn the tricks to keeping escape driven spp. And also get to see one of the fastest growing sp. do their thing. Have fun, and good luck. :D
Image
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests