Mirror Test Suggestion

Make your suggestions here.
WolfwithBeard

Mirror Test Suggestion

Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 pm

You know, I've been benging the Youtube vids and so far, we've seen examples of the ants' abilities to problem solve and invent. But, ants have been proven to be the only insect to possess a higher intelligence like humans and dolphins. They've passed the Mirror Test. It might be fun to see if the ants in the Antverse can show this for the first time on Youtube. The tests were done by marking a few ants with a harmless dot and then placing a mirror in front of them to see their reaction. Apparently, some those without dots even came up and started grooming themselves in front of the mirror. Anyway, just an idea.

(I never could find the actual 2015 study results for this. I only found listings saying they had done it. Which is why this might be a fun little test for all the ant colonies in the Ant Canada Antverse. Anyway, here's a link to a listing saying ants have indeed passed the Mirror ***** http://www.animalcognition.org/2015/04/15/list-of-animals-that-have-passed-the-mirror-test/)

JoeHostile1

Re: Mirror Test Suggestion

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 am

Interesting. They talk a bit more about that study if you look up “mirror test” on wikepidiea.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

WolfwithBeard

Re: Mirror Test Suggestion

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 pm

Yeah. It's crazy how, in the past like 5 or so years, we're really discovering just how intelligent ants are and they really might be the ONLY insect capable of high-intelligence. We've known for years they could farm and raise "cattle" but...it's only recently, we've seen their problem solving skills and use of tools, two signs of higher brain power like that of dolphins. And this is in a creature where most of the workers only live for a couple months. So, it's really, really impressive.

The Mirror Test is another one of these "higher intelligence" tests. Again, I think it would be a fun thing to see tried on these Asian ants in the Antiverse.