When do I tranfer my newly captured colony to its permanent home?

Main Forum Topics,Forum news, updates, announcements, Forum Rules, Questions, Support, and Suggestions.
NotAntMan

When do I tranfer my newly captured colony to its permanent home?

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:38 am

Hello :)
I am very new to ant keeping. My first queen ant laid her eggs on Dec 2,2018(BTW my queen ant is a fire ant). The eggs and the queen are doing fine. I placed the queen ant in a plastic container because I dont have the time to buy a glass tube and no one is selling glass tubes in our place. I actually did not plan to catch one, I just found the queen ant on the floor. The eggs are not hatched yet and I think a couple of eggs are going to hatch in a few days. My only question is when do I tranfer my colony to their permanent home if the eggs have hatched?
Keeping:
Solenopsis invicta

JoeHostile1

Re: When do I tranfer my newly captured colony to its permanent home?

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 am

Usually one would wait until about 25+ workers to move a colony out of a test tube and into a larger home. Those ants should be hibernating right now though since it’s winter.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

NotAntMan

Re: When do I tranfer my newly captured colony to its permanent home?

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:03 am

Thank you very much!! :D
Keeping:
Solenopsis invicta