Camponotus

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

TienesG

Camponotus

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:28 pm

hello can someone tell me what the difference is between each camponotus species, i want to choose one of them to keep but i am not sure which is the best choice.
Currently keeping:
Camponotus Cruentatus

AM1C39

Re: Camponotus

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:36 am

Your choises will be limited to where you are, you live in the Netherlands? Most species are very similar so you could just keep whatever one you find first.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:49 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:36 am
Your choises will be limited to where you are, you live in the Netherlands? Most species are very similar so you could just keep whatever one you find first.
I would check out people from your areas journals, as I didn’t ONE single time, and ended up with Camponotus planatus which eggs never hatch(She is mated) and are hard to feed inside a tube. Ended up giving more workers out of pity.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

WarPKUt

Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 pm

I Have a Camponotus novaeboracensis colony going into its second year. Very low upkeep. First year she got to 8 workers and her second year (this winter) she is at 70 workers. She is sitting on over 200 eggs in various stages just waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit.

https://imgur.com/TANmTcg

I hear they can also have multiple queens but it has to be at colony initiation. The 3 Queens I have are the first ants I have ever raised and it has been a breeze.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 10, 2022 6:56 am

WarPKUt wrote:
I Have a Camponotus novaeboracensis colony going into its second year. Very low upkeep. First year she got to 8 workers and her second year (this winter) she is at 70 workers. She is sitting on over 200 eggs in various stages just waiting for the weather to warm up a little bit.

I hear they can also have multiple queens but it has to be at colony initiation. The 3 Queens I have are the first ants I have ever raised and it has been a breeze.
Are they aggressive? Wait until 100+ workers. My Floridanus will actually play with “toys” when I put Cotten in because they attack it. Been in there for a few months. They still like pulling on it for fiber

WarPKUt

Tue May 10, 2022 1:59 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WarPKUt wrote:

Are they aggressive? Wait until 100+ workers. My Floridanus will actually play with “toys” when I put Cotten in because they attack it. Been in there for a few months. They still like pulling on it for fiber
So far they are very gentle. Even had a moment where water leaked through the glass and flooded an egg chamber and I had to get in there by hand to help them out (Sadly 5 workers did not make it). They have bounced back tremendously though. When the outworld scouts see me they usually run back and hide. I'm still waiting to see if they are even going to initiate a attack on the deepwood termites in their outworld (Last I checked the termites were at around 30 workers). I'm thinking after eggs hatch and the bolster their numbers they may give it a shot.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 10, 2022 5:49 pm

WarPKUt wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WarPKUt wrote:

So far they are very gentle. Even had a moment where water leaked through the glass and flooded an egg chamber and I had to get in there by hand to help them out (Sadly 5 workers did not make it). They have bounced back tremendously though. When the outworld scouts see me they usually run back and hide. I'm still waiting to see if they are even going to initiate a attack on the deepwood termites in their outworld (Last I checked the termites were at around 30 workers). I'm thinking after eggs hatch and the bolster their numbers they may give it a shot.
Maybe, I bet they will at some point

WarPKUt

Tue May 10, 2022 6:14 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WarPKUt wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Ill let you know in a few months. Shouldn't be any longer then that before they get to at least 300.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 pm

WarPKUt wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
WarPKUt wrote:

Ill let you know in a few months. Shouldn't be any longer then that before they get to at least 300.
Or the termites develop soldiers, causing the ants to avoid them.

WarPKUt

Wed May 11, 2022 3:11 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 pm
WarPKUt wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Or the termites develop soldiers, causing the ants to avoid them.
When I caught the termites they already had a few soldiers (around 6 or so). Have not checked their population yet to see if there has been a boom. They don't have a official queen but a reproductive alate. Could mean they have more reproductives in there or maybe the curves egg laying.