Outworld or test tube portal

Announcements & discussion on upcoming ant products. We also would like to hear your product suggestions.

Moderator: ooper01

BlindeGearstring

Outworld or test tube portal

Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm

I am new to ant keeping and have a question, should I get an outworld, test tube portal, or both? does it depend on the species? does it depend on colony size?

Ragediamonds355

Re: Outworld or test tube portal

Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:34 pm

i would get an out world jut bc its bigger so that way you dont have to buy both.

danielw

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:49 am

I would always recommend having both. It definitely depends on the species and how you plan out your set up. I found it easier using test tube portals to feed young colonies of my small ant species. (Pheidole, iridomyrmex bicknelli) On the other hand straight to outworld was good for my larger species (Camponotus, iridomyrmex purpureus).

I found that as I got more into the hobbie with multiple colonies having choices was really important. The set ups need to evolve as your colonies develop. Having choice is key.
2x iridomyrmex purpureus
1x rhytydoponera metallica
1x camponotus consibrinis
1x myrmecia pyriformis
1x iridomyrmex bickneli
2x pheidole sp

NKantsalberta

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:45 am

BlindeGearstring wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm
I am new to ant keeping and have a question, should I get an outworld, test tube portal, or both? does it depend on the species? does it depend on colony size?
I would start with a test tube and portal set-up, but have an outworld ready. You can practice designing your outworld, without being in a rush, so it is ready when your colony is ready for it. A small colony does not need a large area, and most likely will not venture out into the outworld much. My Lasius of over 500 workers is still rather small for the outworld I have them connected to, as the bulk of the colony remains in the nest. It is cool to watch them foraging in the outworld however.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts