new harvester ants on the way need info about them and if a gel ant home is ok its suposed to be safe im making sure ect

General discussions about ants

Moderator: ooper01

newantkeeper15

new harvester ants on the way need info about them and if a gel ant home is ok its suposed to be safe im making sure ect

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm

getting harvester ants and need to know how to take care of them from some one who is really good at this i have 30 ants on the way and for now a gel medium sized ant home need to know the temp to keep them ant what i need to know about the queen first time so they might be a little hard and need to know about there sting and what they like to eat text me on email at zaeplaybae2020@gmail.com or on here thank you

AM1C39

Re: new harvester ants on the way need info about them and if a gel ant home is ok its suposed to be safe im making sure

Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:56 pm

First of all, gel nests are really bad for ant colonies sure they work with what they are usually used for but not for keeping a full colony. Second, this will help with keeping them: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18552. Third, Most harvester ants have very painful stings so you mite want to not get stung.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

cjerg9

Re: new harvester ants on the way need info about them and if a gel ant home is ok its suposed to be safe im making sure

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:44 am

newantkeeper15 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:14 pm
getting harvester ants and need to know how to take care of them from some one who is really good at this i have 30 ants on the way and for now a gel medium sized ant home need to know the temp to keep them ant what i need to know about the queen first time so they might be a little hard and need to know about there sting and what they like to eat text me on email at zaeplaybae2020@gmail.com or on here thank you
Definitely agree with other posts not to get a gel farm. They are really only good for kids who want to observe worker ants who may wonder in to it. Are you receiving just workers or any queens at all?

AntLuvForever

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 am

Don’t use gel bro. It cannot be depended for a full colonel. Also if u dont have a queen, your colony will slowly die off cause the workers cannot reproduce. :cry:
Sorry dude but thats the truth
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion

Alaydia

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:36 am

Just the ants are fine for a gel farm because they won't live long enough for it to be a real problem. An actual colony needs an actual nest. If you have a colony with a queen and 20+ workers you can move them into a small formicarium. Mine are in an AC hybrid mini nest. They need high hydration for the queen, so make sure you keep the nest hydrated (another thing this type of formicarium is good for). They need heat, so unless you can keep them in a very warm room, you need to provide some sort of heat to keep them warm. Harvester ants like seeds and lots of them, but not birdseed. Mine are in love with dandelion seeds and they are also accepting bluegrass seeds. They need small, soft seeds because they can't really break open hard seeds.

In general, gel farms are for kids who want to watch ants crawl around for a short time before they die. Never, ever use them for actual ant keeping.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.