Colony found heading into winter

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Vwbugs

Colony found heading into winter

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 pm

I was possibly looking at getting my first colony this next spring but while stripping some wood off a old trailer I found what I believe to be a camponotus colony of about 50 workers and brood. I'm trying to figure out setup for them now as I hadn't planned on getting any yet but there they were. What's the feasibility of collecting colonies in winter? I also find them when splitting firewood but till now hadn't really considered collecting them.

NKantsalberta

Re: Colony found heading into winter

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 am

As long as you can find the queen and gather as many workers and brood as possible, then keep them in a tupperware container with some of the bark/wood chips and keep them cool enough to maintain their hibernation they should be fine.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Vwbugs

Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Ok, I'm currently building a terrarium with some bricks that will go up against the glass with tunnels carved out inside a 10 gallon aquarium. I was also able to scoop up some of the eggs/very little brood that was with them. Was going to try and get them moved in before I hibernate them. I put 2 bottle caps in their patheticly small jar, one with water and one with some honey. They loved the hunny but on the second day they filled the cap with dirt and chips. Any idea why they would do that?

NKantsalberta

Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:45 pm

The covering food with dirt/substrate is a common habit with most ants. Most likely to disguise it from other creatures who would want to consume it if they cannot move it or consume it all, also they may have done it so they don't get all caught up in it. I generally just change it out when they do this.

Vwbugs

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:12 am

Btw, as far as I can tell I have Camponotus chromaiodes. A few explored my set up and even into my tunnels but they didn't except it. I think it might be to humid in there as there is condensation on the glass. Took the jar with them in back out and put a air pump in the hole to dry it out a bit. If they still don't want to move in, what would be the best thing to do. The jar they are in doesn't have enough material in it for them to be completely covered. Should I just add more or dump them in a Tupperware with more in it. I don't want to endanger the queen or the brood.

Vwbugs

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:21 pm

http://imgur.com/gallery/lMV976L

NKantsalberta

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:07 pm

Vwbugs wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:12 am
Btw, as far as I can tell I have Camponotus chromaiodes. A few explored my set up and even into my tunnels but they didn't except it. I think it might be to humid in there as there is condensation on the glass. Took the jar with them in back out and put a air pump in the hole to dry it out a bit. If they still don't want to move in, what would be the best thing to do. The jar they are in doesn't have enough material in it for them to be completely covered. Should I just add more or dump them in a Tupperware with more in it. I don't want to endanger the queen or the brood.
Sorry I have been offline for awhile. They should be fine in that jar you had them in for the winter, they probably hadn't explored much as it would have been the time they were starting to head into hibernation. Come the spring, when they become more active, I am sure they would readily move into the new nest. Maybe put what they are currently inside, on its side in the aquarium and allow them to move when ready once it warms back up.

Vwbugs

Sun May 30, 2021 11:37 pm

Yeah, been off for a while myself. Literally the day I was going to pull the jar out they decided to move in. They are laying brood and the first pupate are forming.