6 Queen ants, 2 species, Finland, Oulu

Help with identifying the species your ants

Moderator: ooper01

Lithops

6 Queen ants, 2 species, Finland, Oulu

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:02 am

I do have my own guesses, but I would like to have more experienced opinions. To make dates easier to read, I did round them by few days. Here is short video clip I took of them, the diameter of test tubes is 20 mm (or 0.787 inches...)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12rPIuXyfEW7P9nGV22WRm7a7SZMa7Jct/view?usp=sharing

The first two were found at 6.6., and I think that they are Camponotus ligniperda. The video isn't the best, but the mid section has some red/brown coloring.
The remaining four were found at 8.8., and they are most likely Lasius niger.

I would also like to have some tips how to keep them (or at least one colony of each species), like what kind of digging medium/soil they like to build their nests in, and what kind of food they prefer. I'm planning on building naturalist formicaria for them (well, trying to build).
And last thing, how should I hibernate them? I wasn't expecting them to lay eggs so soon... These are my first mated ants, so I'm new to this.

E. The cottons between the tubes are to keep the tubes steady, and to prevent them rolling around.

Lithops

Re: 6 Queen ants, 2 species, Finland, Oulu

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:54 am

Posting some new pictures, bit better than with my phone. I took pictures only from 2 different ant, as there seems to be 2 different species. All of the 6 are still alive, the another big one hasn't laid any eggs, others have.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_lwgE2hHnAGD-oviRfVzaul76IyHWIpU?usp=sharing

antnest8

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Looks like Camponotus to me! Most likely Camponotus Herculeanus to me, or Camponotus Vagus.

I think you are correct with the assumption of Lasius Niger
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Lithops

Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm

It could be C. herculeanus, I don't know. But I have my doubts about C. vagus, as I think they are supposed to be black, and live in more southern Finland.

antnest8

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am

Lithops wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm
It could be C. herculeanus, I don't know. But I have my doubts about C. vagus, as I think they are supposed to be black, and live in more southern Finland.
I didn't see that they had a red hue to them, hard to see with the video, but if they do then you are probably right!
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Lithops

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am

They do have some red on them, but it is hard to see from photos, as I was unable to get a proper lightning for them.

Thank you for your help, also your care sheets look really helpful, I need to read them bit more.

Also found first nanitics with one (most likely) L. niger. Added video of them to my drive folder. Just mute it if you are going to watch it :lol: . You don't want to hear me :lol: