antsRlife Anonychromyrma Nitidiceps Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

antsRlife

antsRlife Anonychromyrma Nitidiceps Colony

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm

So its been a few years since I was deep into ant keeping and earlier this year in March I was walking and next thing I knew I had a queen ant on my arm. I couldn't pass up this opportunity as my past Anonychromyrma colony died because of unknown circumstances with around 50 workers (I have a feeling it was mites). I had to carry her in my hands the entire walk back and then once I got home to get a new test tube clean and ready for her. After I put her away I usually check on new queens after a few hours to make sure they like the space they have and are ok in the new environment and there it was a beautiful batch of eggs already, I was so pleased she settled in so well as this species can be fussy at times. I checked on them once a week after that and at 2 weeks there were larvae and by 4 weeks, pupae. And by the 7th week, we had 3 workers and more on the way but the weather was getting colder and I put them away for hibernation. I checked on them throughout winter watching the there slow progress and here's them today at 15-20 workers, a large batch of eggs and larvae! Not much is known about Anonchromyrmex as they are a species that not many people keep or just see out in the wild as they like to nest under or in trees. i have a feeling its only a certain type(s) they like to live inbut I'm unsure. Ill post photos later today :D
Queens only:
Myrmecia Pilosula (6 larvae, 1 pupae)

Early Stage Nests:
x1 Anonychromyrma (15-20 workers)

antsRlife

Re: antsRlife Anonychromyrma Nitidiceps Colony

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:56 am

Images dont seem to want to work today, ill have to post them in the morning
Queens only:

Early Stage Nests:

antsRlife

Re: antsRlife Anonychromyrma Nitidiceps Colony

Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:47 pm

Heres the image links because the forum doesn't like me T-T (sorry for the bad quality ^^)

https://imgur.com/a/36Tkzo0
https://imgur.com/a/HBCctVk
Queens only:

Early Stage Nests: