Ant species for moss terrarium?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Mathriley

Ant species for moss terrarium?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:31 pm

I have a question I have a terrarium that is a very moist and swamp like tank it has a lot of different moss types in it. There is no standing water in my tank I have a mist setup for watering it. It stays at about 68-75F all year round. I’m looking In to getting this set up for an ant colony I’m wondering what the best type of species is best for this type of terrarium any feedback is greatly appreciated.

ArizonanAnts

Re: Ant species for moss terrarium?

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Mathriley wrote:
I have a question I have a terrarium that is a very moist and swamp like tank it has a lot of different moss types in it. There is no standing water in my tank I have a mist setup for watering it. It stays at about 68-75F all year round. I’m looking In to getting this set up for an ant colony I’m wondering what the best type of species is best for this type of terrarium any feedback is greatly appreciated.
You know that is a great question. Let me do some research and let you know what I come up with. How does that sound?
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Mathriley

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Sounds great any info would be greatly appreciated

ArizonanAnts

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:16 pm

Mathriley wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:05 pm
Sounds great any info would be greatly appreciated
Of course
Keeper of

ArizonanAnts

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm

So i have found some things. I know from personal experience that Lasius neoniger really enjoys and thrives in damp places including moss. I have found that many different Myrmica and Temnothorax species have been found either near or nesting in moss. The reasons for this is they were once tropical ants and therefore prefer high humidity. I also looked at the native species so there may be some that may do fine. You would just need to test it out.
Keeper of

Mathriley

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you so much very appreciated I will get researching on what I all need to do.

ArizonanAnts

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Mathriley wrote:
Thank you so much very appreciated I will get researching on what I all need to do.
Sounds good. I'm glad I was able to help.
Keeper of

QJH2023

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:13 pm

ArizonanAnts wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:08 pm
Mathriley wrote:
Sounds good. I'm glad I was able to help.
since it will be very damp and high humidity a sure bet is myrmica
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 am

Mathriley wrote:
As for which species is most suitable, that's tricky. The temperature of your tank would be most suitable for more temperate ants, say from around the Mediteranean area. On the other hand (sub)tropical ants might be able to deal better with the high humidity.

Is there any chance you can raise an area inside the terrarium? The reasoning behind it is that it will likely create a humidity slope, with the higher part being (somewhat) dryer than the lower part. Not saying that is strictly necessary, but it would allow the ants to settle in the area with the characteristics they love best. Secondly it seems ants prefer different regions for their brood, larva and puppea, so they move them around in the nest to best suit their needs. Having a humidy slope would certainly help your future colony in that respect.

Another option would be -though it doesn't really fit with the theme of your terrarium- is to add a ant-plant. The Camponotus nicobarensis has developed a sort of symbiosis with this particular plant and they nest inside it. The plant provides a home inside it's hollow trunk for lack of a better word. The trunk has developed with holes and a system of chambers and corridors. The ants provide both protection and fertilizer in the form of their poo and garbage. This species is used to a high humidity and fairs well at temperatures ranging from 20-28 degrees Celsius so they should be a good match. The link below unfortunately is narated in Dutch, but I am sure you'll get the gist of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqEM5T9wW8&feature=youtu.be