HELP... Queen moved too early

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RemySkye

HELP... Queen moved too early

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:10 pm

I moved my queen red harvester ant out of her test tube too early and now she has no workers! She has a few eggs that she’s been caring for but nothing else. She seems to be pretty healthy so far but I know she should have stayed in her test tube for longer. Should I try to move her back into the test tube or leave her alone with her new eggs?

rakuichijou

Re: HELP... Queen moved too early

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 am

Well some times eggs would take up to a month to hatch so just wait bruh ;-;
Keeper of:
solenopsis geminata
tetramorium bicarinatum
Ghost ants
pheidole,
and black crazy ants, polyrhachis semiinermis
and weaver ants

#AntLove ;) :evil: :twisted:

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:06 am

What do you mean by you moved her out of her testtube? did you just dump her into an outworld? If so just place the testtube in there and if she walks in then you can keep her in there again. Also what species is she?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

RemySkye

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:05 am

She is a red harvester ant. I connected the test tube with fresh water to her terrarium but she doesn’t seem to be interested.
She has been exploring a lot over the past few days, just hasn’t gone back into the test tube. I’m worried she’s wasting too much of her energy moving around so much.
I covered the connected test tube so it’s dark but uncovered the rest of the terrarium in hopes that she will seek out the new dark area. Is this a good idea or will this stress her out too much?

rakuichijou

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 am

Wait what?!a terrarium!dud never put a queen supper early man she maybe confused and she thinks that she is still looking for a nest.Remember if you put a queen on a test tube the next morning that would be here nest so it means she's not leaving so if you open up the test tube and put the test tube on a terrarium it means your exposing her to elements of air a queens chamber is like a test tube close to air elements.So lesson learn never put a queen on a terrorism with an open test tube if you don't wanna give the queen so such stress.
Keeper of:
solenopsis geminata
tetramorium bicarinatum
Ghost ants
pheidole,
and black crazy ants, polyrhachis semiinermis
and weaver ants

#AntLove ;) :evil: :twisted:

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:11 am

I don't think that terrorism is the right term her. ^^`
Anyway he might be right. Just grab the queen and put her back into her testtube. It's probably the best you can do for her and wait until she got some worker ants. :)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

RemySkye

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:21 am

Sorry guys, she’s not in a terrarium :lol: just poor word choice on my part (I’m used to only housing reptiles before I started with ants)
She is very much living in a formicarium.

When placing her back in the test tube, should I also try to move her eggs in there with her or will that damage them too much? She has walked into the test tube a few times on her own now but has not brought her eggs with her yet.

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 am

What you could do is wait until tomorrow and if she hasn't moved into the testtube with her eggs by then then more her in there and try to pick up her eggs with a piece of cotton to not damage the eggs or reduce the risk of that.

RemySkye

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Thank you so much for your help!