Myrmecia nigriscapa I.D Question and Sugar Water

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

ZeldaTheRagdoll

Myrmecia nigriscapa I.D Question and Sugar Water

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:48 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question, other then wing scars, is there anything that is obvious that anyone is aware of that tells worker from Queen in the species Myrmecia nigriscapa. (What Guinness book of records claims to be world's most deadliest ant.) Common name - Bull Ant. Native Australian's refer to it as the Lion-Ant as it stands it's ground and won't back down.

I know here in Australia the nuptial flight is around feb-march and atm the Queens are raising their new colonies and therefore will search for food in winter when a lot of other ants are basically hibernating.
I have been trying for about 6 days, several times a day to find a queen and unfortunately have only found dead ants, but today wondering by herself I found a very much alive Myrmecia nigriscapa, and have her settling in, so I will get pictures as soon as I can.

My other ants have been bought so this is my first wild catch. I am hoping workers for this species are hibernating and only queens wonder and therefore I just got myself a queen. Disappointing if its a worker but I don't mind the hunt.

The reason I posted this in diet and nutrition is because I wondered where people say to make and use sugar water, if you got a bottle of plain lemonade, opened it and let it go flat, making sure it also didn't have caffeine in it, is this not sugar water? Most people say to make 50/50 when making sugar water, by my math from the side of the bottle of grams of sugar per 100ml it works out to just under 50/50, slightly more water then sugar at around 38/62 split instead of 50/50. You could add more sugar easy enough but probably not needed.
Is there a difference I am missing?
Go to any outdoor bin in summer and there is a guarantee some species of ant has a trail there...

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
Zelda

Just before I posted I looked up this Queen for sale which is the picture attached. I have noticed that workers seems to have a black tail and Queen's have this little bit of yellow at the tip where the stinger is, or am I wrong on this?
If this is correct then I 100% have a queen as she looks identical to the photo of this queen that is no longer for sale.

ZeldaTheRagdoll

Re: Myrmecia nigriscapa I.D Question and Sugar Water

Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:51 am

Sorry, don't think the image worked.
its from this website.

https://www.antkeepingdepot.com/products/myrmecia-nigriscapa-queen-only