Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:32 pm

EmberMan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Hello!

I am new to ant keeping and I have caught 4 queens which I believe are Camponotus pennsylvanicus. I’ve had them in test tube setups for about 5 weeks now, and 3 of them have eggs. I’ve only checked on them about once a week, but I have not really noticed a change in size of the eggs. They may be slightly more oval than when they started though. Wondering if this is normal or if the change in size at this point should be more noticeable. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you:)
It may take upto 2,5 months for the eggs to develop, depending on the conditions, so yeah that's normal.

Try offering your queens a droplet of honey ajd then leave them alone, without checking up on them for at least 3 weeksm

ChichinNuggies

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Hey what’s up? How’s life? Well my life has been very interesting because I just caught a Camponotus queen! I am very excited. I have her in a temporary set up, a small jar, lots of holes and a vile full of water with a cotton ball. But that’s besides the point, I was hoping to find some other species of ant queens as well, just because. But I haven’t had any luck. Which doesn’t make sense to me because their are plenty of thatching ant colonies and small black ants around my area but all I can seem to find are carpenter ant queen. (Which is awesome of course) I am only trying my hand at one for now just to get a feel for things. Despite this I wouldn’t mind keeping another if it were another species. So I was just wondering why only carpenter ants are present? Or is it not the right time? Do other species fly at night? Any help would be awesome!

ChichinNuggies

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm

I live in Central BC if that helps 🙃

Hawkeye

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:23 am

ChichinNuggies wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm
I live in Central BC if that helps 🙃
Different species fly at different times indeed.

QJH2023

Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:27 am

ChichinNuggies wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:58 pm
Hey what’s up? How’s life? Well my life has been very interesting because I just caught a Camponotus queen! I am very excited. I have her in a temporary set up, a small jar, lots of holes and a vile full of water with a cotton ball. But that’s besides the point, I was hoping to find some other species of ant queens as well, just because. But I haven’t had any luck. Which doesn’t make sense to me because their are plenty of thatching ant colonies and small black ants around my area but all I can seem to find are carpenter ant queen. (Which is awesome of course) I am only trying my hand at one for now just to get a feel for things. Despite this I wouldn’t mind keeping another if it were another species. So I was just wondering why only carpenter ants are present? Or is it not the right time? Do other species fly at night? Any help would be awesome!
well tapinoma sessle just flew very small though hard to spot I was at work when it landed on my head only 5 milimeters
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

kungfu

Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 pm

I checked on the queen we caught on the 17th and there is a little pile of eggs in the test tube now!

this was from when we caught her

Hawkeye

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:52 pm

kungfu wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:21 pm
I checked on the queen we caught on the 17th and there is a little pile of eggs in the test tube now!

this was from when we caught her
Nice!

oreoisakitty

Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 pm

EmberMan wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Hello!

I am new to ant keeping and I have caught 4 queens which I believe are Camponotus pennsylvanicus. I’ve had them in test tube setups for about 5 weeks now, and 3 of them have eggs. I’ve only checked on them about once a week, but I have not really noticed a change in size of the eggs. They may be slightly more oval than when they started though. Wondering if this is normal or if the change in size at this point should be more noticeable. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you:)
How long have the eggs been laid?
Owner of a C. us-ca02

C. us-ca02 Journal: https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18096

SYUTEO

Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:14 am

Are too many springtails in an ant tank harmful for my ants? (Apologize if it is a stupid question, I never seen thousands of springtails in an ant tank before)

GabrielsAnts

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm

I iam in Utah and have started to colonies of the Camponotus crew , Herculeanus and a Pennsylvanicus . If you are in Utah and need a few queens , winged or wingless let me know and my Dad will help me out. I look forward to reading this thread. Hello from Gabriel 👋