Fire Ant Brood Disappeared (PLEASE HELP I’M A TOTAL NOVICE)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntMan94

Fire Ant Brood Disappeared (PLEASE HELP I’M A TOTAL NOVICE)

Sat May 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Hello everyone!

First I’d like to thank anyone who decides to take the time to offer me some guidance.

Not too long ago I captured a queen fire ant. I set her up in a test tube setup and all seemed to be going well. She laid approximately 7 brood, but over the course of a few days all of the brood disappeared.

My first thought was that the queen ate them because she was hungry, but I was under the impression that fire ant queens were fully claustral.

The queen is still alive and seems pretty active and healthy.

What do you think happened? Was the temperature in the test tube setup too high (it was only about 78°F)? I seriously doubt it was my test tube set up because everything was textbook: I had fresh water and absolutely no mold.

This is my first attempt at ant keeping so I would love for this queen to survive and start laying brood for me again. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!
Here for the ants!! :D :D

CabboAntsGuy

Re: Fire Ant Brood Disappeared (PLEASE HELP I’M A TOTAL NOVICE)

Sat May 30, 2020 8:59 pm

most any ant species will eat eggs under stress; How often do you check on her? When you first catch them you should try to leave them alone for about 3 weeks at least, and even after that not very often.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

AntMan94

Sun May 31, 2020 12:58 am

Ahh okay that’s likely the problem them, I had been checking on her a few times a week.

One more question if you don’t mind, what is that ideal temperature for her to be produce brood? I have a heating pad that I can I put in the same closed cabinet as her.
Here for the ants!! :D :D

Aaaaaa

Sun May 31, 2020 9:27 am

I don’t know if it’s brood or not, but I’ve seen a small, white ant in my queens setup, it does not move and the queen is always carrying it. But there is only on of them, maybe she ate or hid the rest?
Owner of
2 fire ant queens :D

CabboAntsGuy

Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 am

AntMan94 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:58 am
One more question if you don’t mind, what is that ideal temperature for her to be produce brood? I have a heating pad that I can I put in the same closed cabinet as her.
I'm not sure about the temp, but if you do use it make sure it's only on a part of the test tube and not all of it.
Aaaaaa wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:27 am
I don’t know if it’s brood or not, but I’ve seen a small, white ant in my queens setup, it does not move and the queen is always carrying it. But there is only on of them, maybe she ate or hid the rest?
it is probably a nanitics then, the first worker your queen has, and if you can tell its an ant, then it is almost done maturing.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Hawkeye

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Quick question if you're a first time ant keeper, why would you start with a fire ant colony? They're quite a handful and not easy to control.

Stress is likely the factor that caused your queen to eat her eggs. If she doesn't feel her claustral chamber (test tube) is safe from predators, she won't risk raising her brood in there. Now since she has limited reserves and won't want to waste protein, she'll eat her eggs and brood. She needs the protein to produce other offspring. It can't hurt to offer her a small droplet of honey and a fruit fly to replenish her resources. After that, just leave her be for a good 3 weeks.

If I were you though, I would start of with a simpler type of ant...

Hawkeye

Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:49 pm

The white ant you're talking about is a nanitic (first worker) that hasn't fully matured yet. Not until they eclose and their exoskeleton hardens do they look like any of the other ants.