My journey keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Colony

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

CabboAntsGuy

Re: My journey keeping a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Colony

Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 am

They are beautiful CANant! They look so good. And I love that painting in the background. I wish my colony was doing that good. I posted my update on the campo crew if you want to see it. Hope you're doing well.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

CANant

Tue May 26, 2020 1:11 pm

May 25 - I added an Isopod to the outworld yesterday. Seems the colony has other intentions for it.

We have a crazy amount of June bugs around. I wondered if the ants would enjoy one so this evening I picked the biggest one I could find. I’d say it was a hit and was completely hollowed out by morning.Image

Some images of the nest. I had obviously been adding too much water because they completely blocked off the lower half of the nest were the water holes are to reduce the humidity in the upper part. Now that it’s drying out a bit they have opened their soil blockage. Very interesting to observe. They also almost blocked off one of the entrances to the outworld and the other is completely open.

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Tue May 26, 2020 1:17 pm

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 am
They are beautiful CANant! They look so good. And I love that painting in the background. I wish my colony was doing that good. I posted my update on the campo crew if you want to see it. Hope you're doing well.
Thanks! Thanks about the painting too. :D I’ll check out your update on CC.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Tue May 26, 2020 1:31 pm

Late last night this little beauty caught my eye in the garden. She’s another Camponotus Pennsylvanicus. Hope she’s fertile. I don’t really want two of the same so I may sell or trade her later once she has some nanitics.

She had already removed one wing when I found her and she removed the other while I was setting up her test tube.

All settled in her founding chamber.

Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CabboAntsGuy

Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 am

CANant wrote:
I don’t really want two of the same so I may sell or trade her later once she has some nanitics.
Thats my approach to it as well, but I don't know who I would give or sell them to. I know I could join the Gan Project but I'd rather just do things myself and find people on the forums. Now we both have new queens. When did you catch yours? we could maybe do a comparison in how our colonies do if we caught them around the same time. just a thought. :D
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Hawkeye

Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
CANant wrote:
I don’t really want two of the same so I may sell or trade her later once she has some nanitics.
Thats my approach to it as well, but I don't know who I would give or sell them to. I know I could join the Gan Project but I'd rather just do things myself and find people on the forums. Now we both have new queens. When did you catch yours? we could maybe do a comparison in how our colonies do if we caught them around the same time. just a thought. :D
You could just share the thought of having a spare queen available on the Camponotus Crew thread? I am not sure if there are any members on there which live close to you, but hey it can't hurt.

Hawkeye

Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 am

Nice to read up on the wellbeing of your colony. Those crystal clear pictures are amazing! My own colony still consists of a queen and 4 nanitics, but the brood is developing nicely.

CANant

Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 am

CabboAntsGuy wrote:
CANant wrote:
Ya I don’t see the point in joining the GAN Project for one queen. I caught her in the evening on the 25th. Wasn’t even looking For queens and I just saw a big “bug” that I thought was a beetle at first and then realized it was a queen ant. I thought about letting her go. It’s been very hot and humid here for quite a few days. I suspect that’s what triggered the nuptial flight.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:35 am
CabboAntsGuy wrote:
CANant wrote:
You could just share the thought of having a spare queen available on the Camponotus Crew thread? I am not sure if there are any members on there which live close to you, but hey it can't hurt.
I’m going to wait and make sure she’s fertile first. I know I won’t have trouble finding a home for her if needed.
Hawkeye wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 am
Nice to read up on the wellbeing of your colony. Those crystal clear pictures are amazing! My own colony still consists of a queen and 4 nanitics, but the brood is developing nicely.
Thanks. I’ve actually been considering getting a macro lens for my mobile to improve the quality.
Great to hear about your colony too. Hopefully you are resisting the urge to peek. I’ve noticed now that my colony is larger they aren’t as alarmed when I do peak which makes sense.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

CANant

Thu May 28, 2020 4:09 pm

The new queen is doing well. Just did a quick peek too make sure she was ok and look what I discovered!
Keeper of:

🐜❤️