Queen ant or super major??

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Wilderspinzoe

Queen ant or super major??

Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm

I just picked up the hobby and have caught two ants thinking they were queens, sadly the first died after about a week of keeping her in a test tube set up, indicating she was not a queen. A couple of days ago I found another ant much bigger than the first, and thought this must be a queen based on the size. Now I’m skeptical she may just be a super major, and don’t want to kill another innocent worker :( pls help

p.s. the forum won't let me attach a picture, I just keep getting the prompt "file too large" so any tips on fixing that or maybe just general indicators of a queen over a super major would be greatly appreciated! :D

FrederickAnt

Re: Queen ant or super major??

Sat May 23, 2020 4:30 am

I suggest searching for an 'image to link' converters, typically I use https://imgbb.com/ but you could use google drive, flickr, imgur etc.
Former ant enthusiast
Dream catch: Pheidole Pieli, Acropyga species, Acanthomyrmex species.
current species: n/a
:mrgreen:
Novice
HK antkeeper
Living at the mouth of the Shing Mun River

QJH2023

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm

I personally prefer https://imgur.com/
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:56 am

Wilderspinzoe wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm
I just picked up the hobby and have caught two ants thinking they were queens, sadly the first died after about a week of keeping her in a test tube set up, indicating she was not a queen. A couple of days ago I found another ant much bigger than the first, and thought this must be a queen based on the size. Now I’m skeptical she may just be a super major, and don’t want to kill another innocent worker :( pls help

p.s. the forum won't let me attach a picture, I just keep getting the prompt "file too large" so any tips on fixing that or maybe just general indicators of a queen over a super major would be greatly appreciated! :D
The fact that the first ant died doesn't indicate she wasn't a queen. Those can die too. ;)

Imgur is easy to use. Just upload a picture, copy the BBCode and paste it into the text of your next post.