Are Tetramorium Ants Polygynous?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ILOVEANTS4ever

Are Tetramorium Ants Polygynous?

Fri May 01, 2020 1:56 pm

I am looking at buying some Tetramorium sp. E ants and I just wanted to know if they were polygyne ants. Could you just add in multiple queens? In read on a website that it was debatable whether tetramorium sp. ants are polygyne.

Turret675A

Re: Are Tetramorium Ants Polygynous?

Mon May 11, 2020 5:52 am

They are technically polygynous but more times than not the Queen's end up killing each other after workers start being created, they kindove fight until there's only one left and the aftermath usually leaves the last one mauled with missing limbs and antennas so it's best not to mix them unless you want to make your colony grow faster. What I usually do since tetramorium is extremely common for me is put more than one queen into a tube and once they reach a certain stage and you see them fighting then just separate the Queen's and give the one of the queens another tube since tetras are very hardy and can survive tons of stuff. Also the name for tetramorium sp.e had been officially named tetramorium immigrans, for your information.
Ants are pretty cool

In Richmond BC currently caring for:
X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X1 Camponotus Novaeborecensis
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

Turret675A

Mon May 11, 2020 5:55 am

Turret675A wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:52 am
They are technically polygynous but more times than not the Queen's end up killing each other after workers start being created, they kindove fight until there's only one left and the aftermath usually leaves the last one mauled with missing limbs and antennas so it's best not to mix them unless you want to make your colony grow faster. What I usually do since tetramorium is extremely common for me is put more than one queen into a tube and once they reach a certain stage and you see them fighting then just separate the Queen's and give the one of the queens another tube since tetras are very hardy and can survive tons of stuff. Also the name for tetramorium sp.e had been officially named tetramorium immigrans, for your information.
Also unless you're not in NA tetramorium is extremely common and really not worth buying because they exist almost everywhere that is urban, you can find queens in june/julyish flying all the way till august usually. But to each their own, so if you don't want to wait and get them for free you can buy them. Hope this helps.
Ants are pretty cool

X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

ILOVEANTS4ever

Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks for the help! I am not going to buy them anymore. I will try to find them during their nuptial flight here in June. I am not willing to risk them fighting, so I will just keep them in seperate test-tubes. Thanks for the help, again. :D
Also, how long has Tetramorium sp. E been renamed to Tetramorium immigrans, because most of my ant-keeping friends still call them species E ?

AntChuck

Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm

If you have a pool or other standing water source its actually a good spot to retrieve queens. I retrieved around 60 from my pool last summer and managed to revive around 40 by letting them dry in a jar in the sun for a bit. They were tetramorium immigrans and were quite resilient despite most being in the pool for hours or even overnight. It did not effect their egg laying either as virtually all of them went into hyper egg laying once dried and stored.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Turret675A

Wed May 20, 2020 3:37 am

ILOVEANTS4ever wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm
Thanks for the help! I am not going to buy them anymore. I will try to find them during their nuptial flight here in June. I am not willing to risk them fighting, so I will just keep them in seperate test-tubes. Thanks for the help, again. :D
Also, how long has Tetramorium sp. E been renamed to Tetramorium immigrans, because most of my ant-keeping friends still call them species E ?
It's been renamed for not too long I believe. But I don't remember the date when it was changed, i believe it was changed a few years ago or a year or two.
Ants are pretty cool

X1 Campontus Herculeanus
X1 Camponotus Modoc
X2 Formica Pacifica
X1 Formica Podzolica
X1 Formica Neorufabarbis
X1 Myrmica Incompleta

ILOVEANTS4ever

Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm
If you have a pool or other standing water source its actually a good spot to retrieve queens. I retrieved around 60 from my pool last summer and managed to revive around 40 by letting them dry in a jar in the sun for a bit. They were tetramorium immigrans and were quite resilient despite most being in the pool for hours or even overnight. It did not effect their egg laying either as virtually all of them went into hyper egg laying once dried and stored.
I do have a small pool near my house. I will look there when nuptial flight time comes. Thanks for the advice!