Moving queens/eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

kimberlyad

Moving queens/eggs

Mon May 18, 2020 1:51 pm

I just got my AC Starter Kit and are trying to move my queens/eggs from my current test tubes into my new AC test tubes and the queens refuse to relocate. I tried shining a small flashlight on them and wrapping the new test tube to make it dark but the queens will still not move. Any suggestions of what I can do to make them relocate? Is light better or is heat better? It was suggested to use a stronger lightbulb on them but I am afraid a stronger bulb will create condensation or fry the ants. Very frustrated at this point and hoping for guidance from ant keepers with more experience then I. Thanks, Braden

AntChuck

Re: Moving queens/eggs

Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 pm

If the queens do not have brood or only a small a few the quickest would be to just force her into new set up although retrieving any eggs is tedious if not impossible. I bought a cheap lamp with adjustable head and incandescent bulb to help in my moves but you have to be extra vigilant using this process and it may take hours.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

kimberlyad

Re: Moving queens/eggs

Tue May 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Thank you AntChuck,
We took your advice. It took all day to move all five queens but our patience paid off finally.