Colony Gone Wrong

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Luhandroo143

Colony Gone Wrong

Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi, I have a small problem. (Skip first paragraph for issue)

I live in Georgia and about 2 weeks ago I went outside to just look under some rocks and check out how insects outside were responding to the cold weather. Along my journey, I found 2 fire ant queens together and for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to get them both and the handful of ants that were with them. I have since fed them and kept cleaning their water. they live in a 10 x 4 x 4-inch plastic container, with the lid flipping up, sort of like a toolbox. I put dirt up to 3 inches high. I was just trying to be funny and mess around with my sister, I didn't fully believe I found 2 fire ant queens.

Here's the issue,
There are actually more ants than when I started and am afraid that if I don't do something soon I'll be in trouble. I don't want to get rid of everything, what should I do? Please, I'm free for any feedback and any other questions.

Qwertyfood12323

Re: Colony Gone Wrong

Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 am

you could try to sell them on GAN if you do not want them
this is the link to GAN: https://www.AntsCanada.com/queen-ants-for-sale/
or you could make/buy a formicarium to keep them.
you also could release them or ask your parents if you can keep ants as a pet and pretend to "find them" to keep them
Good luck sorting it out.
Keeper of 1 prenolepis imparis (think)

LanceZylstra

Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am

so i recently caught a new camponotus queen ant and i was trying to move her into a test tube but she fell a 3 foot drop. she did immediatly get up and start moving. do you think she will be ok and is there gonna be any lack of egg laying.
the secound problem is she is always trying to pull out the cotten in the test tube.

AntsRus

Fri May 29, 2020 5:57 am

LanceZylstra wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 am
so i recently caught a new camponotus queen ant and i was trying to move her into a test tube but she fell a 3 foot drop. she did immediatly get up and start moving. do you think she will be ok and is there gonna be any lack of egg laying.
the secound problem is she is always trying to pull out the cotten in the test tube.
Pulling cotton is totally normal, just keep an eye on the cotton. I can't help you with the fall, soz
Future ant keeper :lol:

LanceZylstra

Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am

Ok thank you so much
I'm a first timer :)

Hawkeye

Sun May 31, 2020 5:17 pm

LanceZylstra wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am
Ok thank you so much
I'm a first timer :)
Hey first timer 😀

If I were you I'd stick with the Camponotus queen and release the fire ants somewhere far away. That colony will expand rapidly and will be hard to control.

Ants4Life

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:00 am

Fire Ant colonies are considered to be fast growing colonies, which make them very difficult to care for. It may be best to release them. Possibly keep them in a cool environment or don’t give them a great deal of food as well. In order to slow down the process of a fast growing colony.

LanceZylstra

Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:48 pm

i dont have fire ants

SkeleAnt

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:27 pm

LanceZylstra wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:48 pm
i dont have fire ants
The person who started the thread does have fire ants. Things got messed up is all. If you have another question about your own ants, I’d start a new thread instead.
Last edited by SkeleAnt on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!

SkeleAnt

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Luhandroo143 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:43 pm
Here's the issue,
There are actually more ants than when I started and am afraid that if I don't do something soon I'll be in trouble. I don't want to get rid of everything, what should I do? Please, I'm free for any feedback and any other questions.
I’m wondering if you originally thought the population wouldn’t grow beyond the ants you collected? Fire ants grow fast and their colonies are huge. If you have 2 queens that’s double the egg laying power in one colony. You could either feed them less, which will take time to show results, or release them. I recommend the second option. I know you don’t really want to do this, but if the colony at it’s current size is too much, you won’t be able to care for them in the future, and the colony will get bigger before it gets small enough to manage with less food.
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!