C. noveboracensis and T. spE: My first dive into ant keeping

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Re: C. noveboracensis and T. spE: My first dive into ant keeping

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:32 pm

You must have created some really favourable conditions for your colonies to grow this rapidly! Well done!

CANant

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 pm

So awesome! Loved the update!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

sartwell90

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Alright! It's been a bit delayed but here is my video update on The Carpenters and their new outworld.

https://youtu.be/vzHRbE2Qsm4

I'll be working on a updates for both the single- and multi-queen Tetramorium colony next! Can't wait :)
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

sartwell90

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 am

So it is a bit early, but my ants insist it is time for diapause so I am officially announcing it. #antwinter for The Carpenters.

The pavement ants though... The one queen that went solo that I had kinda counted on not making it is alive! Complete with her first worker, slow, but steady!

Not all the pavement ants are going slow, the single queen that was subject of the last video covering pupa cannibalism has a gigantic mound of brood.

With the success of the polygyny experiment too, I decided to really test my luck and introduce them via a long set of tubes to the ant tower that hosted yet another solo pavement ant queen. Both colonies had workers and established colony identity, so outlook was highly questionable for the foreign queen and her workers/brood.

It took several days before the multi-queen colony even explored the tube. But then overnight, they were all gone!

I checked the tower and found not 4, but 5 queens inside working together. For now the colonies have merged!
Check out my colonies! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDze5idJomnpRCpvd3QoAFA
Or, if you would rather read about them check here - https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?p=60680#p60680

darrnell2010

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Are you close to ypsilanti and do you sell queens

Hawkeye

Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 am

sartwell90 wrote:
So it is a bit early, but my ants insist it is time for diapause so I am officially announcing it. #antwinter for The Carpenters.

The pavement ants though... The one queen that went solo that I had kinda counted on not making it is alive! Complete with her first worker, slow, but steady!

Not all the pavement ants are going slow, the single queen that was subject of the last video covering pupa cannibalism has a gigantic mound of brood.

With the success of the polygyny experiment too, I decided to really test my luck and introduce them via a long set of tubes to the ant tower that hosted yet another solo pavement ant queen. Both colonies had workers and established colony identity, so outlook was highly questionable for the foreign queen and her workers/brood.

It took several days before the multi-queen colony even explored the tube. But then overnight, they were all gone!

I checked the tower and found not 4, but 5 queens inside working together. For now the colonies have merged!
How are your colonies doing now Sartwell? Have they come out of diapause yet?

CANant

Sat May 02, 2020 12:21 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:44 am
sartwell90 wrote:

How are your colonies doing now Sartwell? Have they come out of diapause yet?
Also curious?!
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️