BluMoon's Ant Keeping Journey

Share your Ant Journals, Youtube Channels, and Blogs with the global ant community

Moderator: ooper01

BluMoon

BluMoon's Ant Keeping Journey

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Hello there! This is my first time keeping ants (or rather a ant right now), and I have decided to keep a journal so I can record this exciting journey.
Here is photo of my queen ant, caught in Australia about a week ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Jtj28wobuErJdRIriX8w0RCfQvJUcNA/view?usp=drivesdk

I believe her to be Tetramorium, but if you have any idea on what else she could possibly be, or what species she is exactly, feel free to say so.

Best wishes to everybody keeping ants!
Keeper of 1 x Strobe Ant Queen + Larvae + 0 x Workers :D

BluMoon

Re: BluMoon's Ant Keeping Journey

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 am

So . . . it has been a long time since any sort of update here (hehe...).
I have decided to just do a quick little entry on what has happened during the past couple of months:

1. caught queen ant no.1 https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Jtj28wobuErJdRIriX8w0RCfQvJUcNA
2. learned that she may be tetramorium or solenopsis fugax
3. transferred queen to dirt container -what a noob i am-
4. no idea whether she is alive -super noob-

5. caught a second queen ant, don't know if she is fertile https://drive.google.com/open?id=12E-LdBh78HcCFRk_gGPbhjn8r8-uZydI
6. trying to find out what species

7. now thinking of buying strobe ant queen

And there you have it, the events of the past few months.
Thanks for reading, hopefully I will have some GOOD updates next time :D

BluMoon

Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 pm

So just a small little thing, I have decided to free the second queen ant (species unidentified) and will be getting the Strobe Ant queen soon :D

BluMoon

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:11 am

Strobe ant has arrived :D :D :D

Blurry picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=136LdS9cvuikeIIJ6cEv-cyzxHCjFKKgR

Any tips on care? Please tell me, greatly appreciated

BluMoon

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:40 pm

All ant keeping products received, now I think that I will wait a while, until the queen has her nanitics. When that happens, I shall follow Mikey's tutorial on that, and pop a bottle of champagne :lol: just kidding
So the plan was initially to move her into the founding nest once it arrived, but she seemed so happy (but also kinda bored) shifting her eggs and larvae around in the test tube, so I think I'll move her in later. :)
Can't wait :D

BluMoon

Fri May 08, 2020 6:59 am

So I keep having this dilemma where I decide to check on my queen on Sundays, but I end up losing my patience on Thursday or Friday, and check on her then instead of Sunday :lol:

But anyways, it looks like most of the OG eggs -haha- have become larvae -noice-
I checked on her before I got ready to go to bed, and she is -thank God- still alive.
She hasn't moved into her formicarium yet, which is totally fine with me.

I kinda felt like a mad scientist when I drew up the water into the syringe :lol:
Gives me some entertainment in covid.

Stay safe dudes (by dudes i mean everyone)
God Bless (soz if you aint religious)
Cya

BluMoon

Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:36 pm

Today I am planning to attempt to move Queen Carnelian. Since she didn't seem to be bothered by the light when I first tried to move her, I'm planning to perhaps also use a heat pocket, but of course keep an eye on her so she doesn't get fried.
Right now, she is in a set up where her test tube is connected to the founding nest. I'm hoping she can move into the founding nest so that I don't have to worry about the test tube falling out, or not being able to pull my drawer far out enough to get a good look at the founding nest and inject the water.
Also as you saw at the start of the post, I have named her Queen Carnelian. This is after her orange colour, like the gemstone carnelian.

Here is a recent photo of her, not very good quality though :(
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjCFWCZ7BD47gF8fr-n0wYqFdiu1aLCb/view?usp=sharing

BluMoon

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:58 am

Currently in the process of moving Carnelian. She didn't seem very frightened by the light, but now appears more stressed with the addition of heat. Will I accidentally fry her D:> I really hope I don't!

BluMoon

Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:14 am

BluMoon wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:58 am
Currently in the process of moving Carnelian. She didn't seem very frightened by the light, but now appears more stressed with the addition of heat. Will I accidentally fry her D:> I really hope I don't!
So after a while of her frantically moving around, she stood really still for a moment and her legs looked they they were about to curl up and die :$ so I ended up disconnecting her test tube from the founding nest and now I just have to find a place for her as the drawer above her is about to get busy with life working its way back to 'normal'

Quite a couple larvae so hopefully I can inform you with some good news in a couple week :D