My ants won't eat the mealworm.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

NopunYT

My ants won't eat the mealworm.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:14 pm

So I just got some fire ants to put in my blue Jell-O like ant farm and the ants needed some food so I put a mealworm in there and its trying to escape from in between the plastic outside and the blue Jell-O stuff end. I'm worried if it goes too far down the ants won't be able to get it. Why aren't the ants eating it? Or was I supposed to kill it first? Please help.

CabboAntsGuy

Re: My ants won't eat the mealworm.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 am

Well, you've got a few problems here. First of all, blue gel ant farms kill ants quite often, it isn't good for them. Second, yes you should have killed the meal worm. for young colonies you should always pre-kill the prey, and even in general, it is the most humane way to do it.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

drshan

Re: My ants won't eat the mealworm.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:30 pm

Can you get the mealworm out?
It depends how big the colony is and what else is going on . If you put a queen straight into jelly she probably isn't too happy about it.
Even a small colony will have trouble navigating a new area, let alone hunting in it.
2 x Rhytidoponera metallica 5 - 9 workers.
1 x Iridomyrmex bicknelli 40+ workers
1 x Camponotus Sp 8 workers
Founding : 12+

4 x Selenotypus Sp
2 x Rose Hair Plumpies
1 x PHLOGIUS SP.
1 x Desert Scorpion
23 x Rainforest Scorpion