i need ideas for food soon

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

kateroid

i need ideas for food soon

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:47 pm

i have a formica fusca colony (because im new to antkeeping) and i need ideas for food very soon because my ants love meat but i cant offer them any because there are no insects in my house except my super worm which i can offer them to eat but i want to feed my ants beetle meat so i have two questions 1.is beetle meat tasty for ants? 2. what else can i give them (ex. protein jelly recipe)

AusAnts

Re: i need ideas for food soon

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:01 am

You can give them any bug but i would recommend freezing them first. You would also need to feed them a sugar source, This can either be fruit, honey or sugar water (50% sugar 50% water).
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers

Whitelotus

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 pm

I would check your local pet store to see if they sell feeder crickets. I purchase crickets and freeze them to feed my Formica colony. Some sites state that Formica are able to get legumes but mine will not eat any. I think they are picky eaters (my colony at least). One safe method you could try are hard boiled or scrambled eggs.

drshan

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:00 pm

In my experience, its a bit of a trial and error game with your coloines.
I have two Rhytidoponera metallica colonies, both around the same size, and they both behave very differently.

One colony will take a whole cricket straight into the test tube and leave it with the larve untill it is no more, the other colony I have only ever seen maybe a leg make it into the chamber. They both seem to have very little interest in apples, honey and oates.

Similarly, I have what appears to be a Camponotus castaneus colony that will take the cricket off the feeding tray and leave it, but then devour the honey. They also seem to struggle walking on sand! (?) which is amusing and slightly strange.. https://youtu.be/OfnXcEPhC_4
2 x Rhytidoponera metallica 5 - 9 workers.
1 x Iridomyrmex bicknelli 40+ workers
1 x Camponotus Sp 8 workers
Founding : 12+

4 x Selenotypus Sp
2 x Rose Hair Plumpies
1 x PHLOGIUS SP.
1 x Desert Scorpion
23 x Rainforest Scorpion