Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

STucks

Re: Newish Queen Issues

Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 am

I'm pretty sure the workers were dead, though now that little seed of doubt is sown. . . :?
I think you have a good point about her being disturbed. Right now she's on a table and that table gets bumped too frequently. I'll find a more secure place and see what she does.
I've sealed her back in a covered test tube for now. I'm not sure a good way to feed her in a test tube while not disturbing her further though.

I don't heat the aquarium, it's about 8in*8in*10in. I was concerned about getting it too hot if I added any kind of heat pad under it. I live the coast range of Oregon, so it's a relatively moderate temperature, though we have a wood stove so the inside temperature ranges from cool at night to hot in the morning.

Thank you very much for sharing, now that you've mentioned it, it seems obvious that she's just much too bothered. Hopefully now she'll calm down and forgive me.

mcarney51

Re: Welcome to the Camponotus Crew!

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:33 pm

I have recently found a Camponotus nest outside my house and I decided to look for a possible queen. I found 7 ants that appeared to be queens, which sounds weird, but I am positive that they were (none of them had wings anymore, and they had scars). I put 3 of the queens into a double test tube set up with three workers and a pile of eggs, they seem to be working together fine right now, but I am unsure that it will continue peacefully between the queens, thoughts?

ArizonanAnts

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm

mcarney51 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:33 pm
I have recently found a Camponotus nest outside my house and I decided to look for a possible queen. I found 7 ants that appeared to be queens, which sounds weird, but I am positive that they were (none of them had wings anymore, and they had scars). I put 3 of the queens into a double test tube set up with three workers and a pile of eggs, they seem to be working together fine right now, but I am unsure that it will continue peacefully between the queens, thoughts?
You should try separating them just so that you can be sure that nothing happens.
Keeper of

Nothing right now :cry:

Vincex

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am

Hi guys just a quick ? On my camponotus ligniperda ; I only have them a few weeks and they moved out of testtube ( just workers and egg s) and left queen in testtube now I have a 5 watt Matt heating outworld and tube leading up to testtube and I'm wondering it I should remove cover off testtube and move heatmat under testtube as well or is the risk of cooking queen too great?
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Vincex

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:11 am

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jhT1voThesdKHbiv7.
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Vincex

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 am

http://imgur.com/a/ruJwTS

Might be better the camponotus is at back
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

AntCompetitors

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:18 pm

i had a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen that had 2 nanitics with some brood. the 1st queen i ever caught. then even though i gave them food and water they mysteriously died. one nanitic dissapeared, then the other. i found one nanitic dead somewhat buried a few days later. then the queen just died. I now have a what appears to be a camponotus novaeboracensis queen that keeps eating her eggs, her larvae just die(even with food and protein) and now shes alone in a test tube no briid and she keeps regurgitating water that she drinks. and shes drinking a lot of water right now.

SYUTEO

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 pm

AntCompetitors wrote:
i had a camponotus pennsylvanicus queen that had 2 nanitics with some brood. the 1st queen i ever caught. then even though i gave them food and water they mysteriously died. one nanitic dissapeared, then the other. i found one nanitic dead somewhat buried a few days later. then the queen just died. I now have a what appears to be a camponotus novaeboracensis queen that keeps eating her eggs, her larvae just die(even with food and protein) and now shes alone in a test tube no briid and she keeps regurgitating water that she drinks. and shes drinking a lot of water right now.
Your Camponotus novaeboracensis queen keeps eating her eggs is because you gave her food, the queens will be stressed out if you feed them. Founding queens should not be fed unless they are a species that are semi-claustral (Odontomachus, Pachycondyla etc)

AntCompetitors

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 pm
AntCompetitors wrote:
Your Camponotus novaeboracensis queen keeps eating her eggs is because you gave her food, the queens will be stressed out if you feed them. Founding queens should not be fed unless they are a species that are semi-claustral (Odontomachus, Pachycondyla etc)

i fed her because it has been around 9 months, and not a single cocoon or worker ever existed, and i got worried that she might starve. And i havent disturbed her since last month

mcarney51

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Hey guys,

I live in a pretty remote area and nuptial flight season is starting, I am unsure of where to look for them in terms of landscape, any ideas?