Hello - I am new, Netherlands

Meet and Greet for New Members

Moderator: ooper01

tonywolfin

Hello - I am new, Netherlands

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 am

Just wondering if anyone local that could help with discussions and starting up.
I look forward to this
thanks

qwerty264

Re: Hello - I am new, Netherlands

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 am

You will have to start a colony by catching queen ants.

most of the time, ant species that strictly can only be found in forests, natural surroundings, are usually more sensitive and die more easily when kept as pets. On the other hand, ant that likes to be around your kitchen, lives inside cracks, harsh enviroments, invasive species (not encouraging you to keep ants that are NOT native to your country, dont do that), and are usually found everywhere are the hardy and very suitable for begginers. These are species like lasius niger, yellow crazy ants, pavement ants, ghost ants, and many more. Just be sure to do your research beforehand and make sure you have the correct setup and that you are willing and able to take care of them. As for catching them, most alates like being near a source of light. You will just have to wait for their nuptial flight which usually happens in season changes (mostly from winter to spring). There will be more of them in places that are near natural surroundings and greenery. If you spot ant workers around, there is bound to be alates flying around during nuptial flights. Nuptial flights also tend to happen after a very heavy storm. I once visited Europe during their change of season from winter to spring and in the morning, there were hundreds of lasius niger alates covering the ground (i was staying in a hotel that was towards the countryside and was covered in nature). look out for those season changes and sudden heavy storms.

After getting your queen, put her in a test tube setup, you can search online on how to do this

Hawkeye

Re: Hello - I am new, Netherlands

Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 am

tonywolfin wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 am
Just wondering if anyone local that could help with discussions and starting up.
I look forward to this
thanks
That depends on how local you mean :D I live in Ede, is that local enough?