Nuptial Flight Times NZ

Where and when are you finding queen ants? A section to share nuptial flight schedules by ant species and locality

Moderator: ooper01

NZsayde666

Nuptial Flight Times NZ

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm

I'd like to know the NZ ant types and their nuptial flight times but my place is such a small area!
Please help for I am just a fellow noob ant keeper

Thank you for support

Sayde

ps. I'm only ten! I'm turning eleven this year though :D heh

qwerty264

Re: Nuptial Flight Times NZ

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 pm

Ive answered this question on another post so ill just copy paste :)

Ive never been to new Zealand before but i know that most alates like being near a source of light. You will just have to wait for their nuptial flight which usually happens in season changes (mostly from winter to spring). There will be more of them in places that are near natural surroundings and greenery. If you spot ant workers around, there is bound to be alates flying around during nuptial flights. Nuptial flights also tend to happen after a very heavy storm. I once visited Europe during their change of season from winter to spring and in the morning, there were hundreds of lasius niger alates covering the ground (i was staying in a hotel that was towards the countryside and was covered in nature). look out for those season changes and sudden heavy storms. Good luck!

NZsayde666

Re: Nuptial Flight Times NZ

Fri May 08, 2020 3:50 am

Thank you!

I will keep an eye out for the ants.
In fact, I think there ere some ant colonies living in my fence, dirt ramp, and in the post for the hose.
I'll watch them.
I hope I get Camonotus!
:D