Help with my camponotus queen - she isn't laying eggs

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntArie

Help with my camponotus queen - she isn't laying eggs

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 am

I am a new ant keeper. I caught a queen around Thanksgiving (November), and she is still alive now. I have her in the recommended test tube setup, but she has not been laying eggs. She has wing scars, which means she is most likely a queen, but is there anything I can do to help her lay eggs and produce a brood faster.

Thank you!

NZsayde666

Re: Help with my camponotus queen - she isn't laying eggs

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:04 pm

She might have not been fertilised.
Try catching a male and putting it in with her.

qwerty264

Re: Help with my camponotus queen - she isn't laying eggs

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:08 am

Placing a male inside the tube will most likely stress the queen out and they will almost certainly not mate. This is because the male will only fertilize an unfertilized queen when she releases her pheromones that invites males. trust me because ive actually tried it several times and none succeeded. As for the queen not laying the eggs, it is most likely that the queen is fertilized as she has already shed her wings and just needs time. The only other possible reasons is that she tore it off accidentally or she is not a queen. I would suggest you put the queen inside a dark place where there is little activities going on around it to reduce stress and only check on her every week or two (resist the temptation, ive been there). Depending on the species and conditions, ive had queens that started to lay eggs in 2 weeks and only had their first workers in around 2 months. From experience, usually the bigger the size of the species, the longer it takes. Ant keeping requires a lot of patience, good luck!