New Lasius Niger Colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

kedwin

New Lasius Niger Colony

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:06 pm

I have a new colony of lasius niger, just a few days in their current set-up. The queen hasn't left the test tube I received her in, but workers have just started tunneling in the formicarium (attached directly to the queen's tube) and the outworld (attached to the formicarium).

For the most part, the workers have been coming and going from the queen's tube, usually with one- three ants staying with the queen, but last night I noticed almost all of the workers huddling with her in her tube. Small groups of the workers seemed to be sticking their heads together. My first thought was they were fighting or biting each other, but I doubt that's actually the case. This morning, they're still doing this. So I'm wondering -- what could the ants be doing?

The ants have multiple sources of protein, sugar water and honey in the outworld. There should be multiple sources of water, too, in addition to the wet cotton swab in the queen's tube.

Another question I have is about the two workers (at least I think they're workers) with striped abdomens, one circled in the photo attached. What's the difference between these striped ants with the fatter abdomens from the others?

Thank you!

kedwin

Re: New Lasius Niger Colony

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:08 pm

The photo didn't attach, so hopefully the description suffices for now. Thanks again!

kedwin

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Great, thank you. Do you recommend closing off the formicarium for now, or will they just move when they're ready?

Formicarufa

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:01 pm

The ants putting their heads together, like they are kissing, is how they transfer food
Hope that they do well