HELP condensation in jar

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

turtlemath

HELP condensation in jar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 pm

I'm keeping a colony of Solenopsis. Geminata in a jar until my Hybrid nest Solenopsis 2.0 gets here, but there is alot of condensation/ humidity in there (prolly 90%+). Will they be ok for 3-5 more days. I'm in SoCal and my hybrid nest shipped today from salt lake city. This morning the ants were all in a ball together curled up ant not moving. I warmed them up with a heat mat and now the're ok. ten-15 have drowned in water droplets total. colony is like 1-2K ants. they are housed in a large jelly jar with some dirt in it, and little air holes in the top. I give them honey everyday. they have one to two crickets daily, and always have access to water.
Aspiring ant-keeper

I keep:
Lasius. Niger:3 queens, 50 workers
:twisted: Solenopsis. Geminata: 1 queen, 1-2K workers, 1-200 majors (including super major, sub major, etc)
Still need a name for my colonies, queen fire ant is dubbed "Karen"

AncestorX

Re: HELP condensation in jar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:48 pm

Personally I would try putting some cotton in the setup if possible to try and absorb some of the humidity. Changing it when it gets damp.

Not sure if this is a viable option depending on how much space is available.

Also be aware the heat mat actually raises the air humidity, but obviously you dont want them getting chilly so it's a bit of a balancing act.

turtlemath

Re: HELP condensation in jar

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 pm

did just that, keeping the jar near a power strip so its slightly warm, however no heat mat. all seems well for now. just need to keep em like that for a week or so.
Aspiring ant-keeper

I keep:
Lasius. Niger:3 queens, 50 workers
:twisted: Solenopsis. Geminata: 1 queen, 1-2K workers, 1-200 majors (including super major, sub major, etc)
Still need a name for my colonies, queen fire ant is dubbed "Karen"