Need advice before purchasing

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Neft01

Need advice before purchasing

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Thinking about starting up an ant farm, ive wanted to make one for about 7ish years now and I'm in a spot financially where i can afford the fish tanks/outworlds etc...

I want to start small first so any information would be wonderful.

I'm also painfully aware that it's illegal to bring species across a border, honestly I was wanting to start with a fire ant species.

I live in Tennessee and they popped up here in 1987 and have since been spreading across the state.

From watching ACs YouTube videos it seems after a week or so I'll need to attach the test tube to at least a small enclosure and after about a month add the first out world assuming it was successful, which honestly is more than enough time to get the cash needed for them/delivery.

My main concern really is how much do they eat?

How long should I wait for the first feeding?

Can I add a sugar block or something to let them kind of eat through that to get to the out world when I add it or should I just pop the tube in and hope for the best.

I have a much bigger plan in mind later once I know more.

You might call me insane but I plan to eventually make a colony that's as free as possible in a contained environment, doing things such as a top less environment to hopefully produce nuptial flights that ultimately end in new queens

Keep in mind that last bit won't be for a VERY LONG TIME

JelloRocket15

Re: Need advice before purchasing

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 pm

crickets and mealworms and honey. every 2-4 days is a feeding I always give my ants a lot of honey for energy. When the first ants arrive and start pulling on the cotton. I recommend getting the AC test tube portal for this. I don't recommend a sugar block. ;)

Good Luck!
-The Cool Camponotus Guy ;)